Pygmy Corydoras & Blue Carbon Rili's

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by Jobofett808, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Jobofett808

Jobofett808Valued MemberMember

I have a cycled 20 gallon long with play sand substrate. Tanks been running a couple months as of right now it houses about 12-14 Pygmy corys. I just won a bid for some carbon blue Rili shrimp about 10-12.

My question is am I able to house them together and still have my shrimp colonize & just so maybe my pygmys decide to spawn will the eggs be fine? I hear and see different things online.

I plan on adding either using fake deco or use some Phoenix moss or ricia.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. OP
    OP
    Jobofett808

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438578003.057149.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438578018.449687.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438578031.438590.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438578046.312793.jpg

3. EricV

EricVFishlore VIPMember

I wouldn't expect many issues. The shrimp shouldn't harm any eggs and Pygmy cories aren't a threat to shrimp either. They may eat a baby or two here and there but I doubt they'd have any effect on the overall colony. I know a few breeders who breed Pygmy cories and shrimp together in the same tank to maximize space in their fish rooms. You might end up with a few less of either than if you housed them seperately but it shouldn't have a major impact.

4. LilChicken

LilChickenValued MemberMember

I don't know about that particular shrimp but I've heard of RCS and Amanos being used to help with cory eggs(cleaning fungus and leaving healthy eggs alone.) Cory queen @Coradee might have a better response for you

5. OP
    OP
    Jobofett808

Sweet! Thanks can't wait for my shrimps to come in. I'll have more photos in a couple days

6. OP
    OP
    Jobofett808

Thanks!

7. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

I've not kept blue rili shrimp but red cherry shrimp are good at cleaning cory eggs particularly the females, they'll also eat the infertile ones, amano shrimp will eat any eggs ime

8. OP
    OP
    Jobofett808

Cool I have some red cherries coming in also. Maybe I'll put the red cherries with the Pygmy corys. And make my 20 tall for my blue Rili's

9. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Blue rili shrimp is just a variant of the red cherry shrimp (Neocaridina davidi) so they should do the same as your RCS do.

10. lwill

lwillValued MemberMember

My cherry shrimp did really well in my community tank before I moved them, they had a lot of hiding places. Get them some plants or if you're not into plants a pile of cholla wood or river rocks would make great hiding spaces for them!

11. OP
    OP
    Jobofett808

Pygmy Corydoras & Blue Carbon Rili's

Thanks! I just ordered some riccia, Phoenix moss, Java moss, bacopa and hornwort. Should be in by tomorrow. :D

A-L-O-H-A

JOBOfett808

12. lwill

lwillValued MemberMember

Perfecto! I'm sure they'll love it!

13. OP
    OP
    Jobofett808

I can't wait! Stoked!! Lol

A-L-O-H-A

JOBOfett808 (Hawai'i)

14. lwill

lwillValued MemberMember

I'd be stoked about the blue's in a 20g, will it be shrimp only? They're so much more fun to watch in an invert only tank! Their little personalities come out and it's tons of fun to watch them zoom around!

15. OP
    OP
    Jobofett808

The blues will be alone. To colonize ;) I hope

A-L-O-H-A

JOBOfett808 (Hawai'i)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice