Pygmy Cory Advice and Tankmates Ideas?

ChaoticGamerCG

Hey guys!

I got a new 15 gallon long tank that recently finished cycling and I added in 10 pygmy cories, 3 amano shrimp and 2 nerite snails. I originally got this tank to get a veil tail betta, but ever since I got my pygmy cories, I kind of fell in love with them. I would like to put a betta in here with them, but I know that a betta can be a hit or miss based on its aggressiveness. I really don't want to stress out my pygmies and I might just end up passing on getting a betta. Do you guys have any ideas on what other tankmates I can put with my pygmies that won't stress them out that usually stay on top of the tank? And if so, how many can I get without overstocking my tank? Or should I go for a baby betta? I know those can be a bit easier to maintain since they'll be raised along side them and would be introduced into my pygmies territory so there will be a less change of it being territorial and all. I do have a heater that keeps the temp at 77 degrees and a sponge filter that is supposed to be for a 30 gallon if anyone needed to know that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

HKsai

I tried two betta in my 10 gallon community tank. One just hid and looked so I took him out. My second one was totally fine with the ember tetra and Pygmy corys. If you really decide not to go for betta then I will do honey gourami and ember tetra.

wateriswet

My Betta chased my poor pygmies when they were in a heavily planted 10g together despite lots of hiding spots and breaking up sight lines. I even tried to pick a "mellow" Betta by holding the cups up to each other and picking the one that flared the least. But it does work for some people.

Have you considered a sparkling gourami? They stay small and are supposed to be more peaceful. Ember tetras are a good idea. White cloud mountain minnows might work but that's on the small end for them.

Have you considered getting 1 colorful mystery snail and adding 2 or 3 more pygmies and calling it good?

yeti79

I keep pygmy corys with neocaridina, nerite, thai micro crabs and chili rasbora. Any of the small rasboras would do well in a smaller tank with your corys. May want to look into pseudomugils too.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PAcanis
  • Question
Replies
Views
Dan1o
Replies
Views
Bettanewb78
Replies