Pygmy Cories mostly mid-level swimmers and very active

Chief_waterchanger
Someone mentioned pygmy cories in a post recently. While I was at my not so local fish store I saw that they had 5 pygmy cories on sale to VIP members, which of course any competent fishkeeper is a VIP of their lfs or nslfs (no so local) . So 1.99 a piece and they are with our endlers dancing around the little 10 gallon like it is the grand bahama resort vacation they always wanted. Very active mid-water fish for the most part, they go to the rock-work to eat some algae and to the bottom to pick up leftover flake, but swim primarily mid-level.

If I had a working camera there would be a picture, sorry.

COBettaCouple
i'd love to find some of those guys!

Chief_waterchanger
I would offer fry, but they probably have atleast 6 months before they get to sexual maturity.

Butterfly
How cute! They look almost like little Otos! 1.99 that was such a good deal! Congrats.

Carol

Chief_waterchanger
Thanks for the link, mom. I would love to get mine to breed when they are old enough and get an entire shoal like in the top right picture of the link! Imagine a 55 gallon with cool substrait with larger amounts of planting with like... 100 of those pygmies in it... that'd be cool as all heck. ( they are about 3/4 of an inch full size and low bioload per fish, so it wouldn't overstock them. )

Butterfly
Welcome for the link That would really be cool!!
Carol

COBettaCouple
yea, that would be great! Corys are so cool, especially in big groups and a HUGE group of the pygmies would be a spectacular tank!

armadillo
Wow, these are awesome! I'd love a little school of 6 or so. Never saw them in my LFS, though.

Just found a nice article on pygmy corys. Dwarf Cory and Pygmy Cory

The Corydoras hastatus in particular sounds awesome. It schools with other types of fish, like tetras and rasboras. How cute is that!

Chief_waterchanger
*Just bought another 25 pygmy cories on aquabid, with shipping for about 2.50 a fish. Not counting shipping it was like a dollar a fish.*

Mom, Dino said you wanted some? We can bring them with us in November.

That should make a decent school of em. Maybe put them in a 30 long with some guppies.

Butterfly
Thanks! I would LOVE to have some There is a 30L cycling as we speak

Dino
They arrived a bit ago and are in a 30 long with some bristlenose plecos and 90% black Moscow guppies.

All fish seem to be doing well.

We will probably add the other 5 we had to the bigger group this evening.

Butterfly
Sounds like a plan Got lots of plants for them?
Carol

Chief_waterchanger
We picked up several plants at the auction, I'll put in with them after we're back from Charlotte's auction.

I wish our camera was working. The cories do not stray from one another, the entire 25 of them school along the 30 gallon long they are in, as well as trying to school with the black moscow guppies. It's almost like, 'Can it be time for us to swim too?' lol so cool!

Butterfly
Have fun at Charlotte We'll be thinking of you
Carol

COBettaCouple
wow

yea, that must be such a cool thing to see.. even 6 were fun to watch, but 25! great!

black moscows? cool!

We picked up several plants at the auction, I'll put in with them after we're back from Charlotte's auction.

I wish our camera was working. The cories do not stray from one another, the entire 25 of them school along the 30 gallon long they are in, as well as trying to school with the black moscow guppies. It's almost like, 'Can it be time for us to swim too?' lol so cool!

armadillo
Just saw some pygmy corys (there was no species name displayed, though, so no idea whihc) at my LFS. They were so tiny.

COBettaCouple
my address is...

that's great LA! could you please mail me some? :;a

Just saw some pygmy corys (there was no species name displayed, though, so no idea whihc) at my LFS. They were so tiny.

armadillo
I think you might be better of asking Dino, LOL. Didn't he just get a shipment in?

Hey, is your house in CO bigger than the one in FL? Am thinking more tanks!

COBettaCouple
unfortunately (especially with a BIG fish auction coming up next month here), we don't have anywhere to put new tanks. :'(

we do have the 2 empty tanks, which are cycling now.

Chief_waterchanger

The ones I have are so tiny that I had 5 of them in a 10 gallon with 1 plant and some endlers and I found 3 the first day I went to catch them... figured the other 2 died. I was doing waterchanges on other tanks today, while waiting on the python to do its job I looked over and there was one out and swimming. Worst part is I took the plant and rock out of the tank before getting the other 3 out, there was no reason I shouldn't have seen the other, but that it was smaller than our endlers so I must've missed it.

COBettaCouple
what'll santa say?! :;a

The ones I have are so tiny that I had 5 of them in a 10 gallon with 1 plant and some endlers and I found 3 the first day I went to catch them... figured the other 2 died. I was doing waterchanges on other tanks today, while waiting on the python to do its job I looked over and there was one out and swimming. Worst part is I took the plant and rock out of the tank before getting the other 3 out, there was no reason I shouldn't have seen the other, but that it was smaller than our endlers so I must've missed it.

armadillo
Wow, smaller than an endler. MG! Would you have pix of them next to a larger cory, for comparison's sake? That would make an awesome picture. Oh hang on, they're not in the same tank. Shame.

Maybe an ornament or a coin or something in both pictures? I'd love to see them (I love variations around the same theme, so corys are the perfect theme for me!). To think I thought pandas were small. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the pygmies in the shop.

Chief_waterchanger
Sadly our digital camera has crapped out and will not be replaced for a couple of months, probably. Maybe then I'll be able to do a full-adult size pygmy cory picture comparison.

armadillo
Oh no! You and Dino are the very people that need a working digital camera, LOL. We should totally get a collection started on Fishlore :;jk!

COBettaCouple
camera

Dino.. you gotta put those lazy alien elves to work on a digital camera for the fish house.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fall River
Replies
Views
CindiL
Replies
Views
Zer0Fame
Top Bottom