Pygmy cat small enough?

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Anyone ever had a synodontis petrocola, which is I think aka a pygmy catfish? Please correct me if I am wrong. Doing some research as to what I want to put in my tank in the fall, as it is understocked now but I don't want to add before our hoildays.

Saw these little guys at Big Al's, boy are they cuties! My research so far tells me they are slow growing, but can get up to 3 inches. Could I get two of them for my tank? Currently I have in my 30gallon: 2 platies, 1 honey gourami, 1 panda cat (I don't want to get any more since I have no luck with these guys, Bandit just seems to be a tough one!) and 1 bronze cory, I also want two or three more of these.

If I had a total of 4 bronze cories with my current stock, that would be about 15 inches of fish. Add two pgymy cats would bring it up to 27 inches. Too much?

What is the care of these guys, I know only what I can read but I am looking for some real experience with them.

Thanks!

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have 4 apisto albaters, which is similar to a pgymy cory cat and I just love them. They are so neat to watch. There in a 15 gallon tank with 7 cherry barbs, and 2 cardnial tetras. As you can see it may seem like I am overstocked, but My levels are great and my nitrates are always low. The biggest thing is looking how much waste your fish produce. I hope this helps.
As far as care its very easy. I give them a sinking hikari wafer every 2 to 3 days, and they eat it up. In between giving them wafers they eat any flake food that makes it to the bottom. I also give them cucumbers which they like to chew on. The biggest thing to watch out for is when your vaccuming your gravel, make sure they are not in the way. They are so small, and mine dont move you could easily cause injury, so I just push them out of the way lol. hope this helps.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Those are really cuties! Here's some information
Carol

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks Butterfly for the additional information. I am definitely going to keep them in mind, if I can find them again in the fall. I will be be getting some more bronze cories for certain, as Scrounge lost his friend Hector a while ago after a long battle with fin rot. He needs a new friend, even though he doesn't seem to mind hanging around with Bandit, the panda.

Is it true that the pygmy cats are sensitive to any water issues? I do a water change once a week, and everyone seems happy with that so far. Usually about 30%, with a vac as well, and I vac under the log every two weeks.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds like your water change schedule is good.
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads