pwc ritual Question 

gmen4life

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
O0 just curious about everyones pwc rituals lol filter cleaning all that just to see if im nerotic alone or do i have company:;bb

gmen4life

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i test mine first lol then lat out my towels i do mine on saturdays do every month on canisters for hob i rinse them weekly but only one hehe all tanks have mulitple filtration im paranoid to break cycles and to have proper filtration

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I do water changes every 7-10 days. I don't do a gravel vac with every water change. Usually every other water change. I rinse the filters, clean inside intake tubes with brush, clean the impeller and swish media in bucket of tank water once a month or when gunky. Wipe inside tank walls when algae appears. I usually test later when things settle down. Like my biggest Silver Dollar is such a dramatic guy. He sits on the bottom leaning against the tank or plant/decor....all I see moving are his eyes and gills. He is just still. He cracks me up everytime! He is so funny!

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I get my bucket of clean water ready.
Have a towel and paper towels near by.
Turn off filter etc.
Vacumm the gravel, siphoning the water into my 'dirty water' bucket.
Rinse filter media, decorations if needed.
Wipe down the inside of the tank with a paper towel if needed.
Refill tank.
Turn everything back on.
Spray windex on paper towel, wipe down outside of the tank.
Water flowers with used tank water.
I do that once a week or so.

I think that's it.

Tony G.

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Lucy said:
I get my bucket of clean water ready.
Have a towel and paper towels near by.
Turn off filter etc.
Vacumm the gravel, siphoning the water into my 'dirty water' bucket.
Rinse filter media, decorations if needed.
Wipe down the inside of the tank with a paper towel if needed.
Refill tank.
Turn everything back on.
Spray windex on paper towel, wipe down outside of the tank.
Water flowers with used tank water.
I do that once a week or so.

I think that's it.
lol and you repeat this how many times?? lol 7??
i love how you grab the windex and wipe

CHoffman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have 240 gallon worth of tanks that I change 50% of the water out every 10 days. of that 240 gallons worth of tanks I do 105 gallons worth of tanks 50% WC every other day..lol..That even confused me. Basically I change my 20 gallon pleco tank, my 55 grow out tank and my 30gallon baby and parent tank every other day. All others I do every 10 days. I do my fish room tanks first. I unplug all filters except sponge filters then I hook up the python and start cleaning. I syphon 50% of the water out of all the tanks. Once a month while the used water is running into the tub I rinse the filters out. Then I wash out the hose real well with hot water empty it out run cold water through it set the temp go through and put Prime or Stress coat in all of them then start filling one by one. Then I clean my 120 but I run the python outside into my veggie garden and then fill it the same way. Then I go through and clean the fronts on all the tanks with windex and paper towels. Then I feed them all a good snack for stressing them out..lol..They always forgive me.

scatty

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I do pretty much exactly what lucy does, except I'm watering potted palms. This is interesting for me, as I'm still learning about the proper ways do do things. For those of you that have heavily planted tanks, how do you do gravel vacs? I've noticed there are alot of tanks that barely have any substrate not covered in plants or wood, rocks etc. Does that mean you have to take the tank apart every time you want to vac?..... 'scuse my ignorance

CHoffman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just stick my vac down in there and around the plants and get them the best I can. I do move my big rocks, decor, and anything that could collect waste.

SWilkins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well if you are neurotic on water changes then where does that put me? I vacuum gravel every Monday whether it needs it or not. I take out all water that is needed out of each tank during vacuum, make the rounds with the dechlor, and then refill, and wipe down the outside glass on the tanks. I change 3-29 gal bare bottom snail tanks every other day, 4 10-20 gal shrimp takes twice a week on Monday and Thursday, the grow out tanks 3 of them 2-3 times a week mostly 3, and all the others get cleaned on Monday. Monday is my supposed day off but at least I am doing something I really like. Bare bottom tanks, snail, and shrimp tanks are done with a regular siphon and boy do our tomatoes and cucumbers love fish water...and my hanging baskets on my front porch. The rest are done with the wonderful, back saving python.

I did not realize what all I did until I wrote it down....no wonder people think I am nuts...I am!!

Well I might be crazy but at least I am happy about it!!!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning
I pre-filter water for my changes in a 29 gallon tank that I keep on the screened porch. I treat the water with Nova Aqua, Amquel Plus and Immune Plus and filter it for 10 days prior to my water change. (the filter on my 29g is a Whisper 5 with floss and carbon) Then I bottle the water using 1 gallon jugs that I set in a sink of water 120 degrees to increase the temperature in the jugs to my tank temperature. I shake the jugs a few times (because heat rises) to make sure I have an accurate reading. Then I pour in 2 gallons at a time. I actually change out 25g every 10 days. My tank is 155g. This gives me a water change of 75g every month. By doing a change every 10 days its helps to keep the water chemistry in tact and my pH levels where they need to be. (Most of us know that there is no such thing as a STABLE pH.) My pH ranges from 7.0 to 8.0 during these 10 days. I've done this religiously for the past 8 years. My fish are happy and when they're happy I'm happy

Once the new water is in the 155 I use my Diatom XL for several hours...I treat the entire tank with the same 3 chems I listed above. I rinse over flow sponges and change the filter floss every 5 days. I change the carbon and white diamond every 3 weeks.

I keep a dated log of everything I do and when I do it.

Once I have the new aquarium things are going to change a bit. I'll be able to prefilter, treat and heat in the 29g and go directly from the 29g into the new large tank. This way I will not have a need for buckets and jugs. Too, I'll be able to drain the water from the new tank via holes in the floor, running a tube from the tank and into the creek.

I'm done Ken

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I run full water parameters on all of my tanks once a week. The nitrate levels tell me how much of a water change to do.

I usually gravel vac every week, check my filter cartridges, and rinse them out as needed.

All the used tank water is used to water my flowers. That provides me with the "Little Shop of Horrors" I have in the front of my house.

gmen4life

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i get nervous messing around with filter media i do pwc every saturday i only use prime and test my water before and after depending on the tank i pre mix my water before it goes in the tank with my buckets i may have to break down and get a python if i mess with filter media i dont vac just change the water i guess im bacteria cautious i have fallen in weird cycle since i had to change around my filters alot to insta cycle a few tanks so they are really nasty but there are brand new clean ones alos on every tank how long after i put the dirty filter on the new tank can i change that media would 2 weeks be ok?

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'd say two weeks if you have no ammonia or nitrite spikes to make sure the bacteria is established in the tank. If you're only running one filter with one filter cartridge on a tank, you may not want to change it.

I run two filters on all of my tanks so I have "backup" media and I don't run my tanks into a mini-cycle.

gmen4life

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i run 2 or 3 per tank mbuna has 2 canisters and 1 hob the 55 has 2 hob 640 gph only 4 fish the 30 has 600 gph but if i change media after 2 weeks on the dirty the new filter collected enough bacteria? ill probably wait 3 weeks lol rather play it safe

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm a little confused why you want to change your filters anyway? Why not rinse them in used tank water until they fall apart and then change them

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i change out 20% of the water every 5 to 6 days (in my 46 gallon thats 9g and inthe 29g it is 6g) I use prime and 1 table spoon of marine salt per 5 gallons for a healthy slime coat, I change out the filters every 2 weeks, I am also over paranoid on only having 1 filter per tank so i have 2 filters per tank which allows for 12x tank change over every hour not counting power heads. My filters are able to hold 2 filters at a time so every 2wks I change either the front on both filters or the back rotating so i always have a mature filter pad on each tank. I vacuum the gravel every 2 weeks

then there is the saltwater tank I do the same as above but mixing the saltwater replacement wate is alittle more involved requiring adding the water the prime, the correct amount of marine salt, purpleup to replace iodine and calcium and finally a ph stablizer

all of this and it doesnt feel like work because i truely enjoy my little fishys

gmen4life

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
yeah i like real clear water i see everyone has there own niche

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom