Pvc Wood Logs Turned White?

mikemario76
So I watched tons of videos, read tons of forums. Made several pvc painted wood like logs. They turned out really well. Put a couple in my tank.. now 3 weeks later they are white? I pulled one out inspected it, and it seems as if the water has possibly turned the clear coat white, and penetrated it as I see some small bubbles below the clear. The areas where it sofented I can peel small layer off that seems to take off the clear coat and last layer of paint, but leaves the bottom black color in tact.

So not sure about the Krylon Fushion clear for plastics as virtually all forums mention after using it and having this happen?

Seems I need a heavy glaze for plastics that deals from penetration. Pics are of the finished product and after tank soak unfortunately.
Some advice other then krylon Fushion would be helpful.
Thank you

20180226_223347.jpg
20180226_223328.jpg
20180325_214451.jpg
20180325_214522.jpg

Gypsy13
I’ve never used anything but Pond Armor. Not much help I know. It’s a shame because my hubby says you did a great job on the logs. I hope someone else has a cheaper idea for you.

mikemario76
I appreciate that suggestion, I'll look into it and luckily I have a few I never put in so I can test. I also am going to redo these.

Gypsy13
Keep us posted ok? I love pond armor but like I said, it’s expensive. But, it won’t come off.

mikemario76
Your idea led me to this below the pond armor, which led me to a smaller amount which is all I need, says non toxic, think this will work?

ArtResin® MinI Kit

Gypsy13
Your idea led me to this below the pond armor, which led me to a smaller amount which is all I need, says non toxic, think this will work?

ArtResin® MinI Kit

WOW! No smell! I’m in! Bless you for finding this!

Ok. Checked it out upside down and sideways. It is non toxic, completely waterproof, aquatics safe after 72 hour cure time. This hopefully works as good as everyone is saying cause I’m asthmatic and using something with low to no VOC’s is very important! Thank you thank you!

Gypsy13
Oh. Did I tell you your hollow logs look totally real? Showed them to 9 people so far. They want to know where you bought them! So epoxy those suckers and show them off!

mikemario76
I'm going to pick up some of that product and get these proofed, then hopefully they will be beautiful in the tank next to my drift wood.
As for the logs, I made them from pvc, just kinda played with variations of log lines, (closer and wider lines), then heated and added some bends and curves, painted, etc.
I like being able to make any length or curves, holes, etc. for the needs of the specific tank.
I'll post some pics after I waterproof these with the resin and we shall see..
Prob gonna make a few more with and without the clear coat before the waterproof resin..

Gypsy13
I'm going to pick up some of that product and get these proofed, then hopefully they will be beautiful in the tank next to my drift wood.
As for the logs, I made them from pvc, just kinda played with variations of log lines, (closer and wider lines), then heated and added some bends and curves, painted, etc.
I like being able to make any length or curves, holes, etc. for the needs of the specific tank.
I'll post some pics after I waterproof these with the resin and we shall see..
Prob gonna make a few more with and without the clear coat before the waterproof resin..
Can’t wait to hear how this coating works for you. It will be perfect for my smaller projects!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
wolfdog01
Replies
Views
JustAFishServant
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views