PVC tunnel for hiding spots

Betta_dude
I had a neat idea. bury 4 inch+ wide pvc toobs part way in the subtrate to make hide-a-ways. what do u guys think.

Shawnie
its great!!! ive seen it before and seems a lot of fish love it...get some pics !!!!

Lucy
I remember someone mentioning this before. I bet the fish will love it.

Butterfly
You can also cover them in silicone and roll them in sand or gravel and partially burying(after curing for 24 hrs) them. You can do all sorts of stuff with PVC pipe in the aquarium.
Carol

VertigoXLR8R222
I used the silicone and roll method. same color gravel as my tank so it blends in. just remember to put a thick coat of silicone or you'll see gaps between the gravel and sand the pvc to give the silicone a good surface to bond to. I made a tunnel long enuff to go all the way across the bottom of my tank (front to back) then used it like a barrier. one side is gravel the other is sand. the tunnel keeps the sand from getting in the gravel. but none of my fish seem to live in there regularly. the baby guppies use it for cover and all the fish pass thru it from time to time but no one seems to want to live there. guess its the open ends thing. plus its really easy to drill holes to attach artificial plants to (with silicone). ive been thinking about using the breeding grass from wal-mart since its made to be cut into whatever shape is needed. hope my two-cents can give some ideas. Lee

Betta_dude
I haven't done it but if I do ill try to post pics.

Shawnie
I used the silicone and roll method. same color gravel as my tank so it blends in. just remember to put a thick coat of silicone or you'll see gaps between the gravel and sand the pvc to give the silicone a good surface to bond to. I made a tunnel long enuff to go all the way across the bottom of my tank (front to back) then used it like a barrier. one side is gravel the other is sand. the tunnel keeps the sand from getting in the gravel. but none of my fish seem to live in there regularly. the baby guppies use it for cover and all the fish pass thru it from time to time but no one seems to want to live there. guess its the open ends thing. plus its really easy to drill holes to attach artificial plants to (with silicone). ive been thinking about using the breeding grass from wal-mart since its made to be cut into whatever shape is needed. hope my two-cents can give some ideas. Lee

do you have pics?? would love to see it..ever heard of a knife fish? they love these kind of things

VertigoXLR8R222
what size tank? is it for a betta or a mixture of fish?

Coryd55
You might want to buy end caps for the pvc so the the tunnel keeps its shape and the gravel does fill it in if you bury it. It looks really nice if you silicone roll it in the same stuff as your substrate and a little bit on the inside of the entrance.

Be sure to post pics if you do it!

Butterfly
PVC pipe is fairly ridgid, loaches would love them.
Carol

Coryd55
Wow, vertigo!

Yours looks really good!

fishonthebrain
that looks awesome can't wait to try it can you use any silicon or is there a specific kind.

Cody
I have tried that before but complety underground it didnt work out how I wanted to it took so much extra gravel to competly cover them that it just didnt do it for me. but I never did it with half a pvc pipe

VertigoXLR8R222
thank you thank you. got the idea from here. see the shot glasses I use like flower pots. doubles as a weighted base and makes it easy to work with the plants. now if I could just get all this algae under control. my otos are working overtime and all the mollies constantly eat algae but there's always more and more. Lee

aquarium safe silicone is the for sure way. everyone says ge I windows and doors (w/o mildew retardants a.k.a. dangerous fungicide) so I got some for my 40 long that I am resealing (for my sliders). if you find anything better or more easily available let me know. Lee

Coryd55
GE Silicone I 100%(Window and Door it is in a blue and white bottle). No added chemicals or any of that junk.

KonaBoy
Here's Poe in mine,

VertigoXLR8R222
since bettas are air gulpers they need a place to sleep that's close to the surface of their tank. while they sleep they still need to breath air so they have to wake up and swim to the surface, breathe, and sink to the bottom to go back to sleep. all of mine sleep in the plants near the surface of the water. so I am thinking. if you took a three inch cap and siliconed it backwards to the end of a piece of pvc it would make a cup for them to sleep in at the surface. cut a hole in each end of the pipe for doorways once its standing up. it would have a definite castle tower look. cut the notches like crenelles and merlons in the edge of the cap. cover in silicone and roll in sand. voila! very good looking betta castle tower. wow I excited myself with this idea. ill send pictures when I get mine done. Lee

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mer-max
Replies
Views
Gravel
Replies
Views
apple429
  • Question
Replies