Putting Your Hands In The Tank

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by ghostdawg, Apr 20, 2019.

1. ghostdawgNew MemberMember

I was just wondering about peoples views on this. Should I just clean hands really good with plain tap water?

2. Sergeant PepperWell Known MemberMember

I just clean my hands with soap and water before putting them in my tank. Just make sure to rinse all soap off really well.

3. IboughtmykidfishWell Known MemberMember

I just rinse mine with tap water, no soap.

4. CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

No rinsing here, straight in, dry on a towel...

5. Dawn MicheleWell Known MemberMember

Just rinse. No soap. :)

6. BasilValued MemberMember

Same as Sergeant Pepper, wash hands and arms with soap and water and rinse very well. I use lotion on my hands and want to make sure that is washed off. I also use regular soap, NOT anti-bacterial soap.

7. NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

On the rare occasion my beasts tolerate my hands in there i just rinse them. Granted i get bit almost every time. Except for Todd the Oscar who pretty much just chills.

8. FishcatWell Known MemberMember

I just rinse unless my hands are dirty or have lotion on them.

9. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

I rinse my hands off in HOT tap water, no soap, even if you scrub really good, there is still a chance of some soap getting, and staying in the aquarium. :)

I don’t use soap, its to much as risk!!

10. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

If I am walking by and see something that needs to be done in the tank I have no problem just reaching in there and taking care of it. I don't use lotions on my hands so that is never a concern.

@NavyChief20 I can't imagine having a pet of any kind for any length of time that would bite me although back when we had flying squirrels one of the males would. Thankfully he would slap my hand first. If I didn't take the warning to heart he would bite. Sometimes he woke up on the wrong side of his bed and would be in a bad mood. I learned to read his actions and to take the warning :D

11. sharmanderNew MemberMember

I'm always worried about using soap because of Any chemical residue so I just rinse well and wash with soap after

12. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

I usually just put them in. Or if they are dirty I'll wash them under the tap. I try to stay away from it for a while after using soap or handling chemicals.

13. BReefer97Well Known MemberMember

Soap and water. Rinse well. I was my hands before and after handling any of my animals. If I have an open cut on my hands I’ll use powder free gloves. I’m super particular about washing my hands and keeping cuts clean because aquarium fish can carry salmonella, as well as the 40 reptiles I own. I swear, I forgot to wash my hands off one time and I ended up with excruciating salmonella for over a month.

And I always use anti-bacterial soap. Hand sanitizer and things like that don’t kill certain bacteria like salmonella or c.diff (which a lot of animals have living in their guts).

14. DonthemonValued MemberMember

Be sure to wash hands after though.

15. McFlyValued MemberMember

My tank water is better quality than my tap water...

Unless my hands are dirty, I go straight in.

16. RavynnWell Known MemberMember

I use cream on my hands, so I always wash my arms and hands with unscented liquid soap and rinse well and do the exact same after i'm done with the tank.

17. JamieLuValued MemberMember

I use reg dawn soap and hot water, rinse well. I use scented lotions and have toddlers so who knows whats on my hands :confused::yuck:

18. ghostdawgNew MemberMember

Thank you all for the replies. I normally wash my hands sometimes with soap and sometimes without.

19. AmStaticValued MemberMember

Wait, so yer not supposed to use the tank to wash your hands in?

Just scrub with hot water to get rid of any grime or dirt that's on my hands or accumulated funk from the day. I really try to keep my tank as a closed bio-sim as possible. I've seen too many stress chain-reactions where one fish suddenly becomes ill out of nowhere and followed by others in rapid-fire succession.

20. NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

The Green Terrors and Jacks actually get offended and territorial when i move things in their tanks so they strike. Surprized me the first time.