Putting Together A 10 Gal Sump

Foxyfish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm new to fish building, but I've made some stuff before so I think I'll be able to make a sump
I've already bought two good sized buckets (no lids, but i can make those).
382949-e56cba6378571a3ecfe4772fd83060b5.jpg

And I plan on doing a trickle down filter, in the style of a mini plastic storage cabinet. . .
One of those really small sized ones, and I'll pack a mechanical filter into the first one (polyester, probably), and bioballs in the second. I'm gonna do those plastic pot scrubbies for the third, or lava rock if I can get ahold of them
382950-07df4058eab7773c7606c54654f1c693.jpg

382951-e104928ea7c858f833cbb1d45db84320.jpg

The blue bucket is bigger than the black, but the black has a handy pouring side that I could slip the airline tubing through. Whichever bucket I don't use will become a storage bucket!!

Anyway, that's the project. Updating will be really slow, and If anyone has any advice or tips then please share

(Also are there any other fish safe adhesives other than aquarium silicone? Is there any glue thats fish safe?)

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey Foxy!
Im so glad you're doing a sump! Are you going to put the sump under your desk?
PVC glue is fish safe once dried. You will need that for the overflow and potentially the return pipe. What hardware stores do you have near you so i can tell you which will be best? Also forget the bioballs, they are over priced and the pot scrubbies do the same thing MUCH cheaper. The Lava rock is a must and you can get a good 10 lb bag for about $7.

Foxyfish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
NavyChief20 said:
Hey Foxy!
Im so glad you're doing a sump! Are you going to put the sump under your desk?
PVC glue is fish safe once dried. You will need that for the overflow and potentially the return pipe. What hardware stores do you have near you so i can tell you which will be best? Also forget the bioballs, they are over priced and the pot scrubbies do the same thing MUCH cheaper. The Lava rock is a must and you can get a good 10 lb bag for about $7.
Sweet thanks for the tips! Yup, I plan on taking one of the levels out on the desk cabinet and putting it inside there, with the tubing going through the back so it isnt even visible.
And I did find a one to three dollar bag of bio balls, so I don't think its a bad deal since i dont need too many (the drawers aren't that big)
I'm doing most of my shopping online except for walmart and petsmart/petco, but they don't have much so its mostly online. I'll definitely look for PVC glue and research overflows some more. Thanks again for all your help

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Foxyfish said:
Sweet thanks for the tips! Yup, I plan on taking one of the levels out on the desk cabinet and putting it inside there, with the tubing going through the back so it isnt even visible.
And I did find a one to three dollar bag of bio balls, so I don't think its a bad deal since i dont need too many (the drawers aren't that big)
I'm doing most of my shopping online except for walmart and petsmart/petco, but they don't have much so its mostly online. I'll definitely look for PVC glue and research overflows some more. Thanks again for all your help
my surgery recovery is giving me weird awake hours so just a quick reply. Ill draw up a materials list for an overflow and send it your way. the sterilte containers make great sumps btw you might look at that vice a bucket. Unless of course you are doing your trickle tower with a bucket.

Foxyfish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
NavyChief20 said:
my surgery recovery is giving me weird awake hours so just a quick reply. Ill draw up a materials list for an overflow and send it your way. the sterilte containers make great sumps btw you might look at that vice a bucket. Unless of course you are doing your trickle tower with a bucket.
Honestly youre a lifesaver, thank you!
And yes I was going to put one of those really tiny three drawer plastic containers in the bucket, and punch holes in it the same way that king of DIY did with the much larger one. The airline tubing would go directly into the top of the first container, and this way all the water at the bottom of the bucket would be filtered
Then i was gonna use a circulation pump and another set of tubing to push that water back into the tank.

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Foxyfish said:
Honestly youre a lifesaver, thank you!
And yes I was going to put one of those really tiny three drawer plastic containers in the bucket, and punch holes in it the same way that king of DIY did with the much larger one. The airline tubing would go directly into the top of the first container, and this way all the water at the bottom of the bucket would be filtered
Then i was gonna use a circulation pump and another set of tubing to push that water back into the tank.
So super low cost build:
Sterilite container of your choosing (i recommend a nice sized one or a big storage tub)
3 drawer organizer thingee (x2)
bag of lava rock
bag of poly fil batting
10 or so plastic pot scrubbies
2" x approximately 1' PVC
(1 )2" PVC end cap
8' of 1/2" PVC pipe
(7) 1/2 " PVC elbows
(1) 1/2" PVC cap
(1) 1/2" PVC ball valve
(1) 1/2" PVC tee
(1) return pump (look at amazon for a kedsum pump they are cheap and they work well even sideways)
plastic tubing for return line (id say 1/2)
(2) nylon barbed tubing elbows for your return line "hook"

Tools you need:
tape measure
knife
PVC cutter or hacksaw or some other saw
sandpaper
PVC glue

Hope that helps. I can shut down one of my sumps and take pics if that helps.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom