Putting my air pump together...

• Thread starter Lilthuglet
  • Start date

Lilthuglet

Hi All,

I bought an air pump, I am a little confused.

I seems to have two nozzles coming out of the actual pump and came with two pipes and two airstones. However it only came with one check valve and one control valve. Pics below:
pump1.jpg pump2.jpg

Questions - can I use it with only one nozzle in use? or do I need to attach both? if I'm attaching both can I easily get another check and control valve that'll fit?
It also had a three way joint in the kit should I be using it?
If the style has two nozzles could I buy one and use it for two 10 gallon tanks?

Please excuse the mess, I'm building a hardscape and my entire living room is covered in bits of polystyrene, but there's not much point clearing it all up until I've finished.

Thanks
L

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Id have thought it should have two of everything but you don't know anyway theres multiple permeation you can use, you can leave one blank or feed it to another tank, if one port is not strong enough to run what you want you can run two ports into one using what you've already got like the three way join, all bits are pretty much standard fittings

KinderScout

Well Known
What's the make and model? If it's like ours it has two separate pumps and is best to connect both. Extra check and control valves are easy to come by on Amazon or try your nearest Maidenhead Aquatics store (other aquatics stores are available ;)). If you want to run a single stone use two short lengths of tube to the y connector then a long piece (with the supplied valves) to the tank. That's how ours is set up. You could also use it in two tanks with extra valves.
If we go away for a few days we connect one outlet to the autofeeder to help keep the food dry.
Aquarium airline tubing is 4/6mm (inner/outer) and aquarium airline accessories will match.
Here are a couple of good UK websites you can try too

Lilthuglet

Its a Silent Air Pump Model:HD-402. The picture on the side shows only one pipe connected:

pump-box1.jpg pump-box2.jpg

There aren't any clues on the nozzles (like primary being marked, or 'in' and 'out'). The instruction manual is exactly the same as the side of the box pictured above.

KinderScout

Well Known
I found it on amazon - implies it's a single pump with two outlets. Air will take the path of least resistance so that would mean out of the unattached exit. Even if it had a dual pump it's a waste not to use the second. You have a y connector - connect both outlets to the y connector, then a single link to the control valve then the heckvalve and airstone. With both you may be able to get and run a bigger airstone - they're only a couple of quid from Maidenhead or similar.

Top Bottom