Putting Glowlight Tetra Fry In Unheated 1 Gallon?

Discussion in 'Advanced Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by newbiefishkeeper, Apr 19, 2017.

1. n

newbiefishkeeper Valued Member Member

Hi So 3 weeks ago I tried to hatch 2 glowlight tetra eggs two weeks ago not knowing they would hatch. Eventually one died and the other one ive been keeping in a small 10 ounce container(with plenty of java moss as its primary food source) floating in my ten gallon. I made the mistake of accidentally leaving the heater out twice before in those two weeks (wont happen again) and there was a 5 degree temp drop, yet that fry survived it. So i assume that it is pretty hardy and i was thinkingof putting it in my unheated 1.5 gallon tank. The tank has been established for over 8 months and has a bunch of cherry shrimp fry as well as seed shrimp. The temperature fluctuation is from 74 -79 degrees daily.

2. OP
    OP
    n

oh no :( i accidentally placed this question in the advanced freshwater topic section, can someone here please move this to the freshwater beginners forum, thank you!!!!!!!!!

3. OP
    OP
    n

whoops i meant to say section not forum

4. C

CatPlaysWithPets Valued Member Member

You should really put a heater in there. For both the shrimp, and if you want to put the fry in there. Fry are VERY sensitive. Even if the parents are hardy fish. Good luck!!!

5. Lindsay83

Lindsay83 Valued Member Member

74°f is 23°C, so a bit too low for Glowlights. They should be kept at 24°C as a minimum, so I would put a heater in there.

Then again, as it's a singleton, I'd be tempted to keep I in a hatchery in the main tank, so that it's protected from the adults, but not completely alone.

Source: Baensch Aquarium Atlas #1, page 268
    And
    Seriously Fish:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice