Putting air pump inside insulated box, safe?

newbietetra

Hi,

Is it safe (electrically) to put air pump inside a shoe box? I plan to line the inside of the shoe box with some sound insulation material (thick foam, filter floss, etc), and then put an air pump inside the shoe box.
Hopefully, it will reduce the decibel. But I am wondering if it could cause problems like over heating the air pump motor because the pump is like wearing a winter jacket, and maybe like to heightened risk of fire? I got two mini air pumps, and they already run hot without any sort of enclosure.

According to my phone's app, the decibel 2 feet away is around 30 dB (without any box). Other people in the house say it is already quiet for an air pump. But the noise is making me hard to concentrate, when I am at home working. I admit it is not loud, but the way it makes the sound is very annoying. Di-di-di-di-di-di...

Cinabar

There are things you can do to reduce the noise. Have the pump on a padded surface. This reduces vibrations by quite a lot and makes it way quieter. Check the air intake for clogs. Have an air stone attached. If it’s an older pump, check the diaphragm for wear and tear, and replace/repair as needed.

That being said, I had some of my louder pumps stuffed into a nearby cabinet padded will old shirts and pant. I’m not dead yet but this feels like a fire hazard so I can’t recommend it in good conscience lol

BigManAquatics

I would suggest a new airpump. Sometimes i set a louder one on a folded towel or something. Currently have 3 danner airpumps running in my room, can't hear a one of them, and one of those sits directly on the tank lid.

coralbandit

I would not wrap or box a pump .
Most benefit from having a fan blow on them .

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jmaldo
  • Question
Replies
Views
Alejandro
Replies
Views
fishytingles
Replies