Putting a reducer on canister hose to fit new inline heater?

Fishproblem

Got a Hydor 200w inline heater for a steal.
Didnt' realize that they come in two versions: 1/2" and 5/8" fittings.
Heater has 1/2" fittings. Canister has 5/8" hose. Classic, lol

Naturally, I can't return it. Got it for a steal, remember?

If I use a 5/8 to 1/2" reducer to downsize to a few inches of 1/2" hose on either side of the heater, will it significantly affect the canister filter's performance?

John58ford

Fishproblem said:
Got a Hydor 200w inline heater for a steal.
Didnt' realize that they come in two versions: 1/2" and 5/8" fittings.
Heater has 1/2" fittings. Canister has 5/8" hose. Classic, lol

Naturally, I can't return it. Got it for a steal, remember?

If I use a 5/8 to 1/2" reducer to downsize to a few inches of 1/2" hose on either side of the heater, will it significantly affect the canister filter's performance?
I think that will depend on if this tight spot in diameter is actually the smallest cross section throughout the system. It likely isn't, and without doing any math, the easiest way to find out would be to try to pump a set volume at tank height.

You could put an empty bucket on a chair table etc about the same height as the tank and pump a set amount of water into it through the filter, time it. Then add the inline heater, do the test again and compare the times. This could be a good time for you to calculate for actual gallons per hour in case the subject comes up in your future endeavors (new tanks, uv sterilization etc).

Fishproblem

John58ford said:
I think that will depend on if this tight spot in diameter is actually the smallest cross section throughout the system. It likely isn't, and without doing any math, the easiest way to find out would be to try to pump a set volume at tank height.

You could put an empty bucket on a chair table etc about the same height as the tank and pump a set amount of water into it through the filter, time it. Then add the inline heater, do the test again and compare the times. This could be a good time for you to calculate for actual gallons per hour in case the subject comes up in your future endeavors (new tanks, uv sterilization etc).
Good point! I do have a feeling this would be the narrowest point water has to pass through, if I know my filter as well as I think I do.

That said, it's overpowered for the tank and I can afford to lose a few GPH. Do you think I'd be liable to burn out the pump by reducing the diameter this way?

John58ford

Fishproblem said:
Good point! I do have a feeling this would be the narrowest point water has to pass through, if I know my filter as well as I think I do.

That said, it's overpowered for the tank and I can afford to lose a few GPH. Do you think I'd be liable to burn out the pump by reducing the diameter this way?
I don't think so, but more info to be sure. I think the maximum gravity flow for that diameter (1/2") is something like 400 gph and 5/8 is near 700. You would basically have a little extra false head height as far as the pump is concerned from 400-700gph. No effect of below 400 gph. If you are pushing more than 700 though, I don't think it would be a good situation.

What's your filters claimed gph?

You don't have spray bars or a duck nozzle do you? Those are usually the tight spot you would need to compare to. It takes a TON of little holes to equal 1/2" tubing

Fishproblem

John58ford said:
I don't think so, but more info to be sure. I think the maximum gravity flow for that diameter (1/2") is something like 400 gph and 5/8 is near 700. You would basically have a little extra false head height as far as the pump is concerned from 400-700gph. No effect of below 400 gph. If you are pushing more than 700 though, I don't think it would be a good situation.

What's your filters claimed gph?

You don't have spray bars or a duck nozzle do you? Those are usually the tight spot you would need to compare to. It takes a TON of little holes to equal 1/2" tubing
If I understand correctly, I think I'm nore than safe in that case - it's a sunsun 302 and advertised gph is 264.

I use aluminum pipes for intake and outtake with a jet outflow. After your last post, I recalled that the stock setup included a spray bar that was absolutely narrower than the hose, and the water pressure out of the holes was pretty high. I think the stock spray bar can't possibly have more than 12 holes in it.

John58ford

Fishproblem said:
If I understand correctly, I think I'm nore than safe in that case - it's a sunsun 302 and advertised gph is 264.

I use aluminum pipes for intake and outtake with a jet outflow. After your last post, I recalled that the stock setup included a spray bar that was absolutely narrower than the hose, and the water pressure out of the holes was pretty high. I think the stock spray bar can't possibly have more than 12 holes in it.
Sounds like you are good to go, the heater shouldn't affect your flow at all.

Fishproblem

John58ford said:
Sounds like you are good to go, the heater shouldn't affect your flow at all.
Thank goodness, I was about to throw it through the window
And thank you for having exactly the information I was looking for! Incredibly helpful and greatly appreciated.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom