Put in a new heater...all the fish are clustered around it

Nianichole

Some interesting fish behavior....

I just put in a new adjustable heater, which has allowed me to raise the temperature. It is currently heating up the water and literally 90% of the fish are hanging around it.

I feel bad. Have they been freezing in there? It was 70-73 F before...

I set the new heater for 78 F (I'm also watching it to make sure it doesn't overheat)... If it takes a few hours to heat up is that change in temperature okay?

Thanks.

LHAquatics

I'm a person who is always paranoid so I would recommend to higher temperature gradually. They are probably just around it to explore. Other than that, I don't think there is anything wrong. Good luck

Upvote 0

Dechi

70F is cold for a lot of fish. The good news is now they’re happy !

Since the heater will take a while to bring the temperature up to 78F, it won’t be too hard on the fish.

Upvote 0

Nianichole

I'm a person who is always paranoid so I would recommend to higher temperature gradually. They are probably just around it to explore. Other than that, I don't think there is anything wrong. Good luck

That's true about them maybe be inquisitive. Kind of forgot about that

I'll watch for any weird swimming in case it starts freaking them out. Thanks!
70F is cold for a lot of fish. The good news is now they’re happy !

Since the heater will take a while to bring the temperature up to 78F, it won’t be too hard on the fish.

Yeah, I had an old preset heater I couldn't adjust in there that was also too small. Hopefully they'll be happier now.

Upvote 0

visual.lace

They could be curious, or they could have been chilly and are enjoying the heat! I’ve never had fish take particular interest in a new heater. I had a power outage at my house once while I was at work, in the winter. When the power kicked back on, the heater and filter in my betta tank came back on, but the heat for the house did not. So I returned to a very cold house, and found my poor betta huddled up under the tank heater in very cold water. He knew where the warmest part of the tank was! We both had to hug our heaters waiting for the house to warm back up.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DuaneV
Replies
Views
alven
  • Question
Replies
Views
Tramsdell