Put Filter from hospital tank back into main tank? Question

1. gothbrooks Initiate Member

Hi all,

I recently had a sick fish that I put in a hospital tank for treatment for fin rot. She received a regiment of kanaplex over a week period. I had placed an air driven filter in the hospital tank FROM the main tank that I had prepped for this very reason. After I was done treating the german blue ram with fin rot I took the filter out of the hospital tank and threw out all the media becuase I was nervous about placing the filter back in the main tank... Was I being paranoid? I would have really loved to just continue using the filter and not throwing it out. I was just afraid it could be harboring whatever was cuasing the fin rot or have leftover anti bioltics in it.

What have you guys done in the past when in this situation. I may need to use the ed hospital tank again but now I dont have a cycled filter to place in it.

Thanks!

Tim

2. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

You are right about being wary. But you should be able to clean a sponge filter in bleach, rinse it thoroughly, and then soak it in dechlorinator, and then probably rinse it again. After all that it should be completely safe. Of course it will need to have time to cycle again before it can be depended on as a biological filter, hopefully you won't need the QT before then.

3. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Hello, I agree with FB, you can disinfect your filter with a bleach/water solution, personally, sponge filters are so cheap, I would of just replaced it. Also, i've moved your thread to the filtration section of the forum. Thanks.

4. fishingdeep Member Member

What did you say?