Put coconut in aquarium

Hobbyist

Can I put a coconut in an aquarium or it will rot? If I can put it how should I do that? Should I boil it and let it dry or I can put it right away? Cause you know coconut can be a very cheap cave In an aquarium.

richiep

Coconut shell will not rot its used quite a lot in the UK, people normally stick moss or anubis on it, clean the inside out and would be worth boiling just to sterilise it

Hobbyist

richiep said:
Coconut shell will not rot its used quite a lot in the UK, people normally stick moss or anubis on it, clean the inside out and would be worth boiling just to sterilise it
Thanks man

kbn

Coconut shells are excellent, especially with moss attaches to it or something. Loaches like to hide under it and shrimp and snails like it too

Hobbyist

kbn said:
Coconut shells are excellent, especially with moss attaches to it or something. Loaches like to hide under it and shrimp and snails like it too
Thanks, Its a very good and cheap cave

Tallen78

Hobbyist said:
Can I put a coconut in an aquarium or it will rot? If I can put it how should I do that? Should I boil it and let it dry or I can put it right away? Cause you know coconut can be a very cheap cave In an aquarium.
Great hides for an aquarium yes boil them because they will release tannins in ur tank

Hobbyist

Thanks bro

Tallen78 said:
Great hides for an aquarium yes boil them because they will release tannins in ur tank
Thanks bro

cdw202x

I've made coconut shells for all my bettas' tanks.

Use the brown 'hairy' coconuts. Cut the shell to make the basic shape. Remove the fruit then drill the holes for the fish. Sand the outside to remove the 'hairs'. Boil this for forty minutes or so. This helps release any fruit and oils left from in the shell. After cooling and boiling, sand the edges and fish entry/exit holes so it is smooth. Boil again for another 40 minutes or so, and then let cool.

In my experience, the 'hairs' on the outside of the tend to breakdown over time and make a mess in the tank. Also, if any of the fruit is left in there, it will rot and pollute the water.

The bright side is that you can manuver and create your coconut hut as works best for the fish and you!

Hobbyist

cdw202x said:
I've made coconut shells for all my bettas' tanks.

Use the brown 'hairy' coconuts. Cut the shell to make the basic shape. Remove the fruit then drill the holes for the fish. Sand the outside to remove the 'hairs'. Boil this for forty minutes or so. This helps release any fruit and oils left from in the shell. After cooling and boiling, sand the edges and fish entry/exit holes so it is smooth. Boil again for another 40 minutes or so, and then let cool.

In my experience, the 'hairs' on the outside of the tend to breakdown over time and make a mess in the tank. Also, if any of the fruit is left in there, it will rot and pollute the water.

The bright side is that you can manuver and create your coconut hut as works best for the fish and you!
Thanks for the information, I made three caves in different shapes, small one for shrimp, and two standing by, maybe I could get a Betta tank in the future

Attachments

Top Bottom