Put coconut in aquarium

Hobbyist

Member
Can I put a coconut in an aquarium or it will rot? If I can put it how should I do that? Should I boil it and let it dry or I can put it right away? Cause you know coconut can be a very cheap cave In an aquarium.
 

richiep

Member
Coconut shell will not rot its used quite a lot in the UK, people normally stick moss or anubis on it, clean the inside out and would be worth boiling just to sterilise it
 
  • Thread Starter

Hobbyist

Member
richiep said:
Coconut shell will not rot its used quite a lot in the UK, people normally stick moss or anubis on it, clean the inside out and would be worth boiling just to sterilise it
Thanks man
 

kbn

Member
Coconut shells are excellent, especially with moss attaches to it or something. Loaches like to hide under it and shrimp and snails like it too
 
  • Thread Starter

Hobbyist

Member
kbn said:
Coconut shells are excellent, especially with moss attaches to it or something. Loaches like to hide under it and shrimp and snails like it too
Thanks, Its a very good and cheap cave
 

Tallen78

Member
Hobbyist said:
Can I put a coconut in an aquarium or it will rot? If I can put it how should I do that? Should I boil it and let it dry or I can put it right away? Cause you know coconut can be a very cheap cave In an aquarium.
Great hides for an aquarium yes boil them because they will release tannins in ur tank
 
  • Thread Starter

Hobbyist

Member
Thanks bro

Tallen78 said:
Great hides for an aquarium yes boil them because they will release tannins in ur tank
Thanks bro
 

cdw202x

Member
I've made coconut shells for all my bettas' tanks.

Use the brown 'hairy' coconuts. Cut the shell to make the basic shape. Remove the fruit then drill the holes for the fish. Sand the outside to remove the 'hairs'. Boil this for forty minutes or so. This helps release any fruit and oils left from in the shell. After cooling and boiling, sand the edges and fish entry/exit holes so it is smooth. Boil again for another 40 minutes or so, and then let cool.

In my experience, the 'hairs' on the outside of the tend to breakdown over time and make a mess in the tank. Also, if any of the fruit is left in there, it will rot and pollute the water.

The bright side is that you can manuver and create your coconut hut as works best for the fish and you!
 
  • Thread Starter

Hobbyist

Member
cdw202x said:
I've made coconut shells for all my bettas' tanks.

Use the brown 'hairy' coconuts. Cut the shell to make the basic shape. Remove the fruit then drill the holes for the fish. Sand the outside to remove the 'hairs'. Boil this for forty minutes or so. This helps release any fruit and oils left from in the shell. After cooling and boiling, sand the edges and fish entry/exit holes so it is smooth. Boil again for another 40 minutes or so, and then let cool.

In my experience, the 'hairs' on the outside of the tend to breakdown over time and make a mess in the tank. Also, if any of the fruit is left in there, it will rot and pollute the water.

The bright side is that you can manuver and create your coconut hut as works best for the fish and you!
Thanks for the information, I made three caves in different shapes, small one for shrimp, and two standing by, maybe I could get a Betta tank in the future
 

Attachments

Top Bottom