Put Black Silicone over the top of clear silicone?

Mistacliff

So most tanks have clear silicone, I saw a new tank at petsmart the other day and noticed it has black silicone which seems genius to since you wouldn’t have to worry about it staining if you ever had to treat the whole tank.
I just bought a 125 gallon tank that has clear silicone. Would I be able to buy some black silicone to spread over the top of the existing silicone to achieve the same goal? If so what silicone should I buy?

Salem

Generally new silicone isn't going to securely bond to old silicone. You'd have to take the tank apart and reseal it with the black.
In terms of aquarium safe silicone I know many companies sell it specifically for that exact purpose. However if you were going to need a huge amount (ie multiple large tanks) you can buy %100 silicone caulking without any additives for mildew and mold. GE 1 silicone caulk is widely used for example and I do believe it comes in black.

Kelvin12

I resealed my tanks but you need the cut the old silicone out but DON'T cut into the seams where the glass comes together other wise you will be re-building the tank. Be very careful cutting the old silicone away.

Mistacliff

Well I definitely don’t want to remove the clear silicone and reseal the whole thing. I was just hoping I could put it on top but so much for that.

Kelvin12

You can't overseal silicone it just doesn't stick and water can track between the old and new.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
Papa Charlie
Replies
Views
kurb
Replies
Views