Put A Huge Amount Of Tap Safe In Tank By Accident?

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Changing out the water shouldn't hurt your cycle. The BB doesn't live in the water. I attaches mostly to the filter media and some on all the surfaces in the tank.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Do you think its necessary? Is using 16 times the recommended water conditioner dosage likely to harm the fish?

Because doing another water change will no doubt hit my BB pretty hard. And i really don't want a mini cycle.
16 times the recommended dose can do things to the water like decrease oxygen, if you have fish in there this can be dangerous.

ParrotCichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
16 times the recommended dose can do things to the water like decrease oxygen, if you have fish in there this can be dangerous.
I have my three RB Pirahas in the tank

So after the water change i still need to treat the new tank water with dechlorinator right? How much water should i change? So its unlikely to shock the fish doing another water change on the same day?

I've done some calculations and apparently I've put in 16 times the recommended maximum dosage.

I'm going to start draining water now. If someone could just get back to me on these things.

1. How much water to remove?
2. Do i treat the new water with water conditioner?

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
50% would help-75% would be better and no I don't think you should add anymore water conditioner. Folks that use a python type water change system remove water, add conditioner and them refill. Basically you have already added enough conditioner.

Someone, Please correct me if I am wrong but I think you should turn off your filters while refilling to keep untreated water away from your filter media.

ParrotCichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
50% would help-75% would be better and no I don't think you should add anymore water conditioner. Folks that use a python type water change system remove water, add conditioner and them refill. Basically you have already added enough conditioner.

Someone, Please correct me if I am wrong but I think you should turn off your filters while refilling to keep untreated water away from your filter media.
Really not used to these API Water Conditioners. I've checked the instructions again and it seems you can add a little more than i realized. So i was wrong i have treated about 16 times the regular dosage but only 6 times the MAXIMUM dosage

Do i still not add water conditioner even though Its only 6 times the amount? I'm just worried about how much of the Water Conditioner will have already been broken down in detoxifying metals and other compounds in the water.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Really not used to these API Water Conditioners. I've checked the instructions again and it seems you can add a little more than i realized. So i was wrong i have treated about 16 times the regular dosage but only 6 times the MAXIMUM dosage

Do i still not add water conditioner even though Its only 6 times the amount? I'm just worried about how much of the Water Conditioner will have already been broken down in detoxifying metals and other compounds in the water.
Well alright then, It doesn't sound as bad as it started out. I am not familiar with that conditioner either. How are you refilling your tank? (buckets/hose/python?) How long ago did you add the overdose?

ParrotCichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well alright then, It doesn't sound as bad as it started out. I am not familiar with that conditioner either. How are you refilling your tank? (buckets/hose/python?) How long ago did you add the overdose?
I'm refilling it with a hose similar to how a python works. I usually treat the entire tank then fill.

I added the overdose of Conditioner about 4 hours ago.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I strongly recommend water changes when anything goes wrong if it’s related to the chemistry of the water. I will agree that dosing too much of anything is bad, even if it does a good thing for your use.

Try doing a 50% water change and only dose enough to cover the entire volume.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't think I would add more conditioner but you have to do what you are comfortable with. Although it has been 4 hours it should still be there doing what it was designed to do and by adding so much of it I would think there is enough still there to do the job.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom