Pushing the envelope...Transfer to new tank?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by RudeeRu, Mar 22, 2006.

1. RudeeRuValued MemberMember

Aloha!  Well, I still only have my 2 mollies (maybe about 1.5 inches) and 4 ghost shrimp, but am interested in getting more fishies (I am now hooked, line and sinker!)!  The store I frequent (and they seem very reputable) said it would be pushing my limits, but ok for me to add a pitbull pleco (only get to 2-2.5 in. max) and 2 upside down cats (I would be fine with just 1; I know other sites have said to keep them in schools but I was told it would be ok if it were alone and/or with the pleco) to the 10 gallon tank as long as I kept up with the cleaning and added more live plants (which I have, also bought a piece of driftwood today, currently soaking).  I am trying to "holistically" combat a planaria outbreak in my tank, so I clean diligently!  I haven't purchased any of the new fishies yet, as they do not have them in stock right now.  Oh yea, and I'm totally cycled!

I considered purchasing a 29 gallon, I just don't have ANYWHERE to put it; so looks like I'm most likely keeping the 10 gallon. However, IF I did find some room for the larger tank, how do I transfer my current inhabitants to the new tank?  Is it as simple as just moving them in, dumping the water in the 10 gallon and then adding more water, or should I cycle the 29 gallon without any of the 10 gallon water and wait?  Just curious...

2. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

I would do a "fishless cycle" on the 29 gallon and then transfer the fish. Much less stress for the fish and less chance of losing any of them. One woman's opinion. Let's see what others have to say.

Welcome to Fishlore.com! It has been so nice to post to you. I hope I have more contact with you on the forum. This is a great group of people and I count some of them among my closest friends. May your experience here be as pleasant as mine has been and continues to be.

Rose
    :)

3. fish_r_friendWell Known MemberMember

i would do the same as chickadee

4. vinWell Known MemberMember

Just asking here, not advising......Why you couldn't take the substrate, water and fish along with the filter media and transfer it to the new tank. Dechlorinate the additional water needed and fill the tank the rest of the way. Maybe even run the two filters at once. The new and the old...... You'd have a 1/3 capacity head start....... The existing substrate, plants, decor, etc., already have the bacteria needed to establish the tank and the water parameters are already within the required window as a result of that bacteria colony.

It would seem that it wouldn't be very different than if you were to break down the tank and move it from one place to the other.

Thoughts?

5. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

You can still take those things with you, but the fish will have to go through a mini-cycle anyway and it would be much less stressful to have them go into a tank that is fully cycled even if it has a filter that is going to be a second filter. It is wise to have the second one running to use as one for a hospital or quarantine tank for sick or new fish in the old tank. That way it would save the necessity of trying to come up with something in a hurry or wait to get a new fish until you can get a tank ready. The flow adjustment can be set to the lowest setting to keep the filter from adding to the current of the water by much and still keep the bacteria healthy. The new tank can be set up with less gravel than wanted with the idea of adding the gravel, plants and decorations from the old tank. No doubt there will be room for more of both plants and decorations in the new tank, but there is no reason the old one cannot be used, in fact it will cut down on the stress of the fish to have their "belongings" taken with them as they are used to those things and will "miss" them.

You can have the best of both worlds here.

Rose
    :)

6. vinWell Known MemberMember

Cool. 8) Got it.....

7. RudeeRuValued MemberMember

Thanks for the advice...for now my new additions will have to be happy in the 10G (and they should be, there would only be 4 maybe 5 fishies at the most), because I need to buy the 29G (and the stand, won't fit on the stand I have now) and find room for it (I have no idea where to put it). It's sad, I have a house and have no room for a larger tank! That's because I have a mini-zoo here!

I do have room for a 5 gallon tank in my computer room; husband wants a fiddler crab (but we can't have it in my 10G because of my shrimps and snails), just wondering what else to put in it? It would have live plants, a way for the crab to get air, but not sure what else can go into it? I've looked up compatability and some sites say the crabs are too slow to catch fish and others say the fish have to be larger than the crab?!? And one site said to only have 1 crab per 10 gallon tank, another said you can have more than 1 crab, but you have to have many to avoid fighting?!?

This is when I wish I had just got the bigger tank...sure you've heard that before!

8. jim55379Valued MemberMember

If it's a 10 gallon and your getting a 29 I would subtract the difference. I would put 19 gallons of water in the 29 gallon tank and let it cycle for a few weeks. then I would suck up the water in the current tank with 5 gallon buckets and then when the water level gets real low transfer the exhisting fish. Of course you want to make sure the water temp in the cylcling 29 gallon is the same. I think by using the same water it would be like doing a partial water change. I am thinking about upgrading my 10 to a 20 or larger for my goldfish but the only problem with my method is that you would have to relocate the new tank to a different spot since you never want to pick up a tank full of water. I have an idea for my tank upgrade if I use the same location I will just put the water in 5 gallon buckets along with the fish and then pick up the 10 gallon when it's empty and put it the larger tank. Then add the water from the buckets. Then slowly over time add a little bit of cycled water from another tank or bucket. The only problem I can see is that if the water level is too low you won't be able to run your power filter. Hmmm?? this is my best suggestion for keeping the fish alive.

9. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

I don't think there's any way to realistically speed up the process. If you get a new tank, cycle it fishless, and then transfer the fish from the smaller tank a few at a time (use a disposible cup, not a net, if the tank is in another room).

And sorry, dunno nothin' about crabs. Pretty cool though ;)

10. RudeeRuValued MemberMember

Hey thanks for all the advice! If I get the new tank I want to put in the same spot because I like the location (it's a little close to the window, but it's the only place it can fit). I was wondering on how to handle the transfer, but I may do a fishless cycle and then move the tank water into buckets, move the empty tank, etc. I really like that idea, so thanks! I wouldn't be able to get it for a few months, but it's something to look forward to! ;D