Pushing it? 10 Gallon Tank

1. Fish'd

Fish'd Valued Member Member

I was thinking...
    2 Albino Cory
    2 Bronze Cory
    One Honey Gourami OR One Dwarf Gourami OR 5 Glowlight Tetras

I was thinking of these stocking options. They still kind of seem crowded though, so I wanted your opinions on which you would pick. This is for a 10 gallon.

I didn't know whether or not to add ghost shrimp, so I'll leave them as is.

What do you suggest? Do you have any other ideas?

(Personally, I'm leaning toward the Honey Gourami one, but I'm not sure.)

Thanks!

2. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

I like the honey gourami one :)

3. OP
    OP
    Fish'd

Would you add ghost shrimp in there, or leave it as is?

4. sirdarksol

sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

I'd be careful with that program. Nothing beats personal research (which you're doing here, so good... I'm making the comment for others, too).
    My opinion, four cories and anything else is overstocked. Three cories and a gourami might do okay. Three cories and five small tetras would probably do excellent.
    Edit: If you have a gourami and a shrimp in a 10g tank, the shrimp is likely to become supper the first time it molts.

5. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

These seem fine. If you want to go with the honey gourami one, it would be okay to add 3 or 4 shrimp (they have very low bioloads, leaning towards cherries). The corys should school together, so that won't be a problem. However, this is coming from a person with a 125% overstocked tank (according to A), so I would wait for replies from more experienced fishkeepers. Also, corys might get pretty big, so I'd listen to sirdarksol. Oh, and by the way, for shrimp, you'll need plenty of plant cover.

6. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Excellent reminder sds!!

Honestly, I didn't look at the OP's stocking options.
    I didn't feel like clicking a bunch of links.
    Imo, it would have been better if they were listed in the post.

Personally, I think pygmy cories are more suited for a 10g than 'regular' cories.

7. sirdarksol

I agree with this, too. I did click the links, but I was thinking that it would have been better for them to be in the post.

Definitely. If we're not looking at pygmy cories, then I don't think they should be in a 10g tank. Too much bioload and not enough swimming space for a school.

8. OP
    OP
    Fish'd

@sirdarksol: That why I figured I'd ask- it seems like a lot to me.
    Oh, didn't take molting into account. D:

Also, I'll make sure that I put them in the post. My bad.

@Elodea: Are cherries expensive? I hear they are.

@Lucy: Ack, fixing. Dx

ETA: Fixed! My apologies. :b

9. G

GoGreen Well Known Member Member

I would do 3 Panda cories and 2 honey gouramis, that would probably be the limit for that size tank. I like option 3 the best it's just that 1 honey would be lonely, and reducing the amount of cories to 3, but all the same type would give a bit more space for the extra honey and ensure that the cories would play together.
    But that's just my opinion, and it may be biased as those are two of my favourite kinds of fish!;D

10. sirdarksol

No problems. We just want to make sure that you get the most useful responses you can.

Labyrinth fish love getting their mouths on inverts whenever they can. While the shrimp have their shells, though, they're pretty much immune to anything smaller labyrinths can do. When the shrimp molt, they lose that, and usually end up as supper. In a larger tank, with only one predator, they can often hide, but in a smaller tank, they're often found.

I think that two gourami would be dangerous. Gourami can be very territorial with each other, particularly in confined spaces.

11. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

IMO , gouramis just dont play well with others in such a small tank....they are territorial and some more than others...but ALL have a way about their own space....also, gouramis have shrimp as their diet (at least mine do) and will hunt them down if need be..

I did check out the links as it was the only way to see the stock..and maybe before you get any cories for a 10g tank, check out this thread ... https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...-best-fish-were-not-into-photoshoots-lol.html regular cories of any kind, (bronze , albinos, sterbais etc) get way to large for a 10g tank..the pygmies will be great though....

im with the others that im glad you are doing your research before hand :) but it is much easier for members to see the list here instead of opening 4 different pages to see your options ;)

12. OP
    OP
    Fish'd

@GoGreen: Oooooo, pandas... Hmmm. Are you sure they would be happy in threes, though? I've always seen suggestions for four and five. And would the two gouramis fight? I'd have to order them, so I can't guarantee what the genders are.

@sirdarksol: I didn't know smaller gouramis would try to eat the shrimp. Thanks for letting me know!

@Shawnie: I guess that's no on shrimp. :O

Awww. D: To be honest, I'm really not as attracted to pygmies as I am larger ones. Would small pandas be considered regular?

13. Shawnie

I dont have panda's so i cant help with that as I never knew albinos and others could get so big...as you saw from my attempt to measure them, they can ...(darn fish dont stay still for my pics and measuring tape!!)...but TY for listing the stock! way easier

14. Lucy

Maybe not, but you're limited to what you can have in a 10g.

15. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

Why dont you look at sparkling gouramis?

16. Lucy

Good idea. They're great little fish. They do well with lots of cover.
    They will get territorial if they spawn. I have 3 and had to move one little guy out.

17. Shawnie

LOVE the sparkles!!
    and maybe in the spring, lucy will share hers ;D :;nw

18. OP
    OP
    Fish'd

@Shawnie: Haha, they're always so active!
    Planet Catfish says Pandas are 2 inches max. It says Bronze get to 3. Is that still too big?

@Lucy: Wish I didn't live in such a small space. ]:
    What about Tail Spot Cories?
    Do you know about how much pygmies run each?

@platy ben: They look interesting... I'll look them up some more.

ETA:
    371.jpg

Is he dyed?

19. Lucy

Could just be the lighting. I've never heard of dyed Sparklers, but I suppose anything is possible.
    Here's one of mine:
    IMG_0290.JPG
    Here's a cool Youtube video (not mine) but you can here them make their clicking noise.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3Atf76jhrw

20. OP
    OP
    Fish'd

Awww~

Wow! They sound like birds! Why do they do that?
    I'll really look into getting those. They're so pretty and unique.