Purposefully Growing Algae?

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello Fellow Fishlorians!

My 125 goldfish tank needs to grow some algae on the back panel, but I can't get any further than I have gotten now!

Whenever I try to keep my lights on for longer, algae starts growing on other surfaces.

I want to grow it in the back to hide the pipes, improve water quality, and have a more natural looking tank.

Any ideas?

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think the hobby needs more years of advancement to get to the point where we’re all able to target grow algae, if we wanted to. I’m actually pretty serious.

Myboimydudemyfish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
75g Discus Tank said:
Hello Fellow Fishlorians!

My 125 goldfish tank needs to grow some algae on the back panel, but I can't get any further than I have gotten now!

Whenever I try to keep my lights on for longer, algae starts growing on other surfaces.

I want to grow it in the back to hide the pipes, improve water quality, and have a more natural looking tank.

Any ideas?
Never tried this, but you could try covering any lighting towards unwanted areas and see how that works

Dakotablue

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hmmmm. My first thought is to set up a backlight and put a panel or some mesh about an inch or so from the back to block the light. Setting it up so you could blast the back with like 18 hours of light but preventing the rest of the tank from getting that much. Sounds like a lot of work though with a tank your size.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom