Purple Up

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Raamiah, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Raamiah

Raamiah Valued Member Member

Hey guys!
    I went to the LFS to buy some calcium to stimulate the coralline algae (at the suggestion of a friend) and the guy at the LFS told me to buy Purple Up so that it would only stimulate the coralline and not other algae that might be in there.
    He told me to wait until the end of my cycle before putting it in the tank. Should I wait like he said or should I add it so that it can grow at my friends suggestion? What are your thoughts?

BTW I have been cycling for just over a week and I have about 40 lbs of base rock and 10-12 of live.

2. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Totally unnecessary IMO. It's basically just an expensive calcium supplement. Your salt mix alone should have an adequate amount of calcium to promote coralline growth, especially since you don't have any stony corals using it up. My 29 has several SPS and LPS corals, and I don't even supplement that tank. Also, a good rule of thumb IMO is to never dose anything you don't test for. :)

3. OP
    OP
    Raamiah

Raamiah Valued Member Member

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice. I'll hold onto it and if I don't need it I will just return it to the store.

4. zeeter

zeeter Well Known Member Member

My LFS actually talked me out of the purple up. He said the coralline is going to grow on it's own and Purple Up won't make that big of a difference.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice