90 Gallon Tank Purple Tang a good thing???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate41590

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think the purple tang is beautiful, and i want one. I have a 90 gallon aquarium 4 feet long. 3 blue devil damsels, and one clownfish. i plan on getting a few more fish before the tang, so he can be the close to the last if not the last addition to the tank. any thoughts ???

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Nate,

Hopefully some of our salt tank members will chime in today with responses. Your fish sound amazing. Any photos to share?

Ken

Annadvn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would say no, they are very active swimmers and most sites recommend at least 100g.

Most 100g tanks are 6' long where as 90g are 4' long so it gives them more swim space.

Anna

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey Nate! Purple tangs are very aggresive toward other tank mates in an enclosed system. They do well by themselves! Sorry dude but get a different fish!I would not put him in a tank smaler than a 150! With different fish and no tangs of any sort!

sgh360

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tangs are really notorious to carry ich. If you decide to get it you need to quaratine for at least 31 day before introducing to your DT

Annadvn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would like to respectfully disagree with Stang Man, a 90g wouldn't fit 4 yellow tangs.

Most places recommend a 55g or bigger for a single yellow tang. The competition for food and territory would be too much for a 90g and 4 of them.

Just :

I would stick with 1 yellow tang and the fish you previously mentioned (3 blue devil damsels, and one clownfish) you could even add a goby or 2 with that stocking list or get your clown a friend?

Anna

locoyo386

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think the purple tang is beautiful, and i want one. I have a 90 gallon aquarium 4 feet long. 3 blue devil damsels, and one clownfish. i plan on getting a few more fish before the tang, so he can be the close to the last if not the last addition to the tank. any thoughts ???
Hi there, I am the advocate of 'size matters', size of the fish that is. Curently I have a Purple Tang and a Sailfin Tang along with a Maroon, Foxface, Flagfin, and Azuri Damsel in a 55g.;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3pyOl8kdNc&feature=related
My tanks are sort of stepping stones, so keep that in mind. I had the purple maybe about 6 months now. It is doing great so far, but it is about 3-4 inches. It did show Ich when I first put him in the tank, and the rest of the fish got it. I was able to save them all. At the time I had 4 tangs, Mimic, Powder Brown, Sailfin and the Purple. Soon it got to small for all 4 of them, thus I removed the ones that needed more room to swim, the Mimic and the Powder Brown. The purple is doing great, but they did get Ich about 4 time before I was able to control it. Keep that in mind when adding new fish. If you are no experienced with Ich , make sure you QT the fish bfore addig them to the main tank. Aggression is great with the Purple Tangs, thus being the las one alwasy helps but is no guarantee that it will not kill any of your fish. Currently I have 6 fish in the 55g, but they do not take well to new ones. I added different ones from typical damsels to a Convict Tang. The Flagfin, Maroon and the Purple are the ones that exibit aggression, in that order aswell.

Not sure how big and what kind of damsels you have, and how long they have been in the tank, but that it something you are going to keep in mind when adding any new fish. They tend to become very territorial and very aggressive to new fish. If you get the Purple Tang there and it is too small the damsels might stess it enough that it might die.

As far as tank size, the purple will be fine up to maybe 6 inches, but after that you might look into moving it into a bigger tank. If you are not panning to keep it or are planning in getting a bigger tank, than it might be ok to go with the purple or anyother Tang. Most say that the Tangs are OK in small tanks (which I do), but the size of the Tang has to correspond to the size of the tank. Meaning that if you plan to keep a Tang for its entire life span in the same tank, then the tank has to be no smaller than 72 inch long and 18 inches front to back for an 8 inch Tang, the Purple Tang can reach 10" and the Yellow Tang - 8". Also there are two types of Tangs, as far as my personal experience has been, the swimmers and none-swimmers. Both the Purple and Yellow Tangs are non-swimmers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 67 67.0%

Top Bottom