Purple Emperor Tetra

Geoff

Member
Hey guys!

I was just wondering if anyone keeps or has ever kept purple emperor tetras (Inpaichthys kerri). I've been looking for a new school to add to my 36g bowfront and I came across these guys on Trins Fish the other day. I remembered seeing them on Aquapros and how much I liked their look. I did some research and they appear to be compatible with my tank. I went ahead and ordered some, and while I wait for them to ship, I was just curious to see what others' experiences or thoughts are with them.
 

kallililly1973

Member
Good luck with them. I clicked the link and it appears they stay quite small like an ember tetra so I would imagine the same care should be taken with them!
 
  • Thread Starter

Geoff

Member
kallililly1973 said:
Good luck with them. I clicked the link and it appears they stay quite small like an ember tetra so I would imagine the same care should be taken with them!
Thanks! I'm really excited to get them. My order status has been "awaiting fulfillment" for a few days now and I'm starting to get impatient! lol
 

kallililly1973

Member
Geoff said:
Thanks! I'm really excited to get them. My order status has been "awaiting fulfillment" for a few days now and I'm starting to get impatient! lol
Keep us updated and of course share pics once you get em and their settled in!!
Could be "awaiting" being its the weekend and they don't want them sitting in transit over the weekend.
 
  • Thread Starter

Geoff

Member
kallililly1973 said:
Keep us updated and of course share pics once you get em and their settled in!!
Could be "awaiting" being its the weekend and they don't want them sitting in transit over the weekend.
I'll definitely get some pics. They'll be in QT for a while first.

I ordered them on Wednesday morning. At this point, it could very well be because of the weekend. I'm still impatient though lol.
 

chromedome52

Member
They get twice as big as Embers, but smaller than the Emperors that they resemble. They are shoalers, and not very aggressive at all. Easy to keep, eat anything. If you decide to try and spawn a Tetra intentionally, it's a good first species. They are very easy to sex. Males have a blue adipose fin and a blue sheen on the body, while females have a red one and lack the blue sheen of the males. (Adipose is a small fleshy fin between the dorsal and the caudal.)

Here's part of a small batch of 100 or so that I raised up 5 years ago. The pots were for the Apistogramma baenschi sharing their tank.

DSC_0087.JPG
 
  • Thread Starter

Geoff

Member
chromedome52 said:
They get twice as big as Embers, but smaller than the Emperors that they resemble. They are shoalers, and not very aggressive at all. Easy to keep, eat anything. If you decide to try and spawn a Tetra intentionally, it's a good first species. They are very easy to sex. Males have a blue adipose fin and a blue sheen on the body, while females have a red one and lack the blue sheen of the males. (Adipose is a small fleshy fin between the dorsal and the caudal.)

Here's part of a small batch of 100 or so that I raised up 5 years ago. The pots were for the Apistogramma baenschi sharing their tank.

DSC_0087.JPG
Thanks for sharing! Those are some stunning fish, I'm even more excited for them.
 

Cognac82

Member
I have 10 of the "super blue" variety of these. About the size of a cardinal, very out and about, explore the top third of the tank more than any of the other tetras in this tank besides the diamonds, and are absolutely ignorant about the siphon during vacuuming time. It's like they're trying to Nemo themselves out of the tank. Other than that I really enjoy them. If my diamond tetras ever go to the fish bowl in the sky I'll up their school and see what happens. They eat anything and everything. They'll even grab the sinking wafers and parade around (reminds me of the indigenous people that sport the lip plates, or me in the morning trying to get a toddler dressed while eating a bagel). Pretty comical, really. They acclimated fine with just bagging and putting water in over half an hour or so. They're currently living in liquid rock, high pH and seem to be doing fine. Have had them for a few months now and they seem pretty hardy. I'd post a pic but where I live it takes 50 years to upload anything.
 
  • Thread Starter

Geoff

Member
Cognac82 said:
I have 10 of the "super blue" variety of these. About the size of a cardinal, very out and about, explore the top third of the tank more than any of the other tetras in this tank besides the diamonds, and are absolutely ignorant about the siphon during vacuuming time. It's like they're trying to Nemo themselves out of the tank. Other than that I really enjoy them. If my diamond tetras ever go to the fish bowl in the sky I'll up their school and see what happens. They eat anything and everything. They'll even grab the sinking wafers and parade around (reminds me of the indigenous people that sport the lip plates, or me in the morning trying to get a toddler dressed while eating a bagel). Pretty comical, really. They acclimated fine with just bagging and putting water in over half an hour or so. They're currently living in liquid rock, high pH and seem to be doing fine. Have had them for a few months now and they seem pretty hardy. I'd post a pic but where I live it takes 50 years to upload anything.
The upper third of my tank is exactly where I’m trying to get more activity.
 

Cognac82

Member
Geoff said:
The upper third of my tank is exactly where I’m trying to get more activity.
Lights are out now and they're still hovering(sleeping) at the top. You will probably see them being somewhat of a dither fish for any of the others in your tank. Everyone got a little less skittish when I added the Kerris. Even the Ottos chase them back and forth, where they used to just hide in the plants. I think you will like them
 
  • Thread Starter

Geoff

Member
Cognac82 said:
Lights are out now and they're still hovering(sleeping) at the top. You will probably see them being somewhat of a dither fish for any of the others in your tank. Everyone got a little less skittish when I added the Kerris. Even the Ottos chase them back and forth, where they used to just hide in the plants. I think you will like them
From what you and others are saying, I really think I will like them, too! Thanks so much for sharing.
 
  • Thread Starter

Geoff

Member
They’ve been shipped! I don’t have an ETA yet but I’m hoping by Wednesday. Exciting!
 
  • Thread Starter

Geoff

Member
Found out this morning that they’ll be arriving Thursday. I was hoping for tomorrow, but at least I get one more day to procrastinate in setting up the QT!
 
  • Thread Starter

Geoff

Member
Well let this be a lesson in not procrastinating. This morning, I checked the tracking updates and it looks like they’re ahead of schedule. The fish will be arriving TODAY, rather than tomorrow. My QT isn’t set up yet! Soooo, I’m leaving work early, after lunch, so I can go home and get things set up. Also, it’s going to be a scorcher today, so I don’t want the fish to be sitting on my front porch until I get home this evening.
 

Latest threads

Top Bottom