purple algae

1. juice303 Member Member

:;hi2 I just started a fowlr tank. my wife and I went to the lfs we saw a couple tanks with rocks that were all purple will that happen by itself or do i need to add supplements?

2. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Purple coralline algae - fresh live rock will likely have the algae on it. You have to keep your alkalinity, SG, pH, calcium in natural saltwater ranges and it should encrust the live rock in your tank over time. Hobbyists add supplements to keep those water parameters in line.

3. pitbull_nc Member Member

The above post is right on the money. I have found that calcium has a key part in coralline algae. You can find it in a variety of colors on live rock. After time it will move over to other rock, snail shells, and even some on your glass perhaps. It will become very pretty in my opinion.

4. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

If its the lighter purple not a dark purple I don't think it's actually natural its something that they farm on it almost I forget how it's done. I have a couple pieces in my tank and actually really don't like it, plus its already coming off.

5. Stang Man Well Known Member Member

The lighting has alot to do with all coraline algaes, what type lighting do you have on your tank?

6. juice303 Member Member

I just have a 40 watt flourecent. Since I started the tank I have one rock that is looking looking really good hopefully it will spread

7. Stang Man Well Known Member Member

You need a better lighting for live rock to grow a steady and healthy coraline algea, 3-5 watts per gallon at a kelvin degree of 10,000 or more of 8 hours a day to sustain a healthy amount of algae. What you have right now after due time the algae will suffer from proper lighting and soon will decay.

8. juice303 Member Member

I just read something that that said Thats a common rule that people read but 1 to 1.5 watts per gallon work great for coralline. has anyone else heard that?

9. Stang Man Well Known Member Member

That is way to low and like I had mentioned that 3-5 is common rule and depending on type of fixture and bulb is the key.