Purple algae... need help identifying!

Eclipse737
I noticed that there is this purple algae that has taken over my tank. It started out as just on the glass and I figured between me scraping it off and my plecos and snails it would get taken care of or at least be controlled. I was wrong it is now covering a lot of the substrate. I don’t have much experience with algae and whenever I look it up nothing matches the description of what I have. I was wondering what type it is and is it harmful to my fish? Will my snails and plecos eat it? My tank is next to a window so I’m not surprised algae grew. I will be attaching a picture.

mattgirl
I am thinking this is actually cynobacteria or blue green algae. It isn't always blue or green. It can also be deep purple. I had the deep green in my tank. I read up on and bought some "Ultralife Blue Green Slime Stain Remover". It did a great job at removing it from my tank and hasn't harmed my fish at all.

Amazon.com : Ultralife Blue Green Slime Stain Remover : Aquarium Treatments : Pet Supplies

This is an interesting read: How to Stop Red Slime Algae in Your Aquarium

Eclipse737
mattgirl said:
I am thinking this is actually cynobacteria or blue green algae. It isn't always blue or green. It can also be deep purple. I had the deep green in my tank. I read up on and bought some "Ultralive Blue Green Slime Stain Remover". It did a great job at removing it from my tank and hasn't harmed my fish at all.

Amazon.com : Ultralife Blue Green Slime Stain Remover : Aquarium Treatments : Pet Supplies

This is an interesting read: How to Stop Red Slime Algae in Your Aquarium
I will definitely get some of that stuff. Thanks so much!!

jpaquatics
Yes looks like blue green algae to me as well

mattgirl
Eclipse737 said:
I will definitely get some of that stuff. Thanks so much!!
You are so very welcome.

Eclipse737
jpaquatics said:
Yes looks like blue green algae to me as well
Ok thank you!

Latest threads

Top Bottom