Purigen

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Disc-ram 83, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Disc-ram 83New MemberMember

Hello everyone I have decided to use Seachem Purigen .I am new to purigen .My question is where in the canister to place the Purigen I am assuming to put it in the top of the canister filter on top of the water polishing media . I am first putting in on my 75gallon with 6 peacock's it has the fuval FX4 canister filter on it .any tips or advice I really appreciate it. Thank you all .

2. el337Fishlore LegendMember

I don't think it matters but the placement you described sounds perfectly fine!

3. ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

Your big concern should really be that it doesn't get dirty and is after yuour water has hit the bio media.

4. r15u5Valued MemberMember

I'm using for the first time as well. Curious @ashenwelt why would you not want it to get dirty? Did you mean it will get worse putting it before the bio filter because it will pick up more particles that could otherwise be caught by the filter?

5. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Purigen should be put so it is the last thing tank water comes into contact with before the water goes back in the tank

6. ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

Because then you are stealing food for the beneficial bacteria. Purigen is just one of those final polishers... the chemical polishes just like you would use charcoal.

7. r15u5Valued MemberMember

Got ya!

8. r15u5Valued MemberMember

Coming back to this.. I had to think about it for a second.

Isn't the flow of filtration supposed to be:

Water->Course Mech->Fine Mech->Carbon->Chem->Bio

In that case, wouldn't purigen go in the Chem section, which would be 'stealing' food for the BB? Wouldn't any type of chemical filtration potentially steal food by removing compounds in the nitrogen cycle?

That being said, is there a point where it doesn't matter where you put the purigen because it will not eliminate, but rather reduce the organic compounds so that the BB is still able to function and probably more efficiently because there is a less amount of organic waste to be processed?

I'm sure there is going to be a threshold of where having too much of any filtration media is going to be bad for the ecosystem,, but assuming there is an appropriate amount of media, does it really make sense to be at the very end?