Purigen?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by James95, Aug 3, 2015.

1. James95

James95Well Known MemberMember

Hello everyone,

I recently redecorated my 90g tank and added 3 large pieces of mopani wood. They've discolored my water significantly... And although my South American cichlids are enjoying the tannins, I am not.

I added a bag of activated carbon to the filter a few days ago and it hasn't cleared up much, so I'm thinking about trying a bag of Purigen instead. The reviews seem really great. Any opinions or advice on the stuff? I normally don't even run carbon in my tanks, I'm chemical filtration-illiterate, if you will. Thanks in advance!

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Did you soak them in hot water before you added them to the tank?

3. OP
    OP
    James95

Followed the instructions and soaked them, but I knew if I waited to keep soaking them until they stopped leaching it would be weeks before they were ready. I'm too impatient for that, haha!

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

There's your problem then haha. You could try Purigen and see if it would work. I heard activated carbon would work too, but it didn't do much for me either. I haven't tried Purigen as I have a planted tank now, but I decided just to roll with the tannins. I picked fish that preferred tannin-stained water, and they all seem happy!

5. SnyperTodd

SnyperToddValued MemberMember

It would probably be months... I once soaked a large piece of Mopani wood for almost 3 months, draining and refilling the tank I was soaking it in with hot water every day, and the water was dark with tannins within hours every time. At the end, I was filling it with tank-temp water and still the water turned very dark within hours. I ended up selling it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. OP
    OP
    James95

Exactly... I wasn't willing to wait that long. Or deal with that everyday. Doing this and finding a way to keep the water clear seemed more practical to me!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice