purigen

Discussion in 'Water Conditioners and Supplements' started by skar, Aug 5, 2014.

1. skar

skar Well Known Member Member

I use a lot of filtration on my tank..
    I've used purigen for awhile.
    My question is Why do you need to soak purigen in 1:1 in bleach for 24 hours ? And then for another 8 with prime . ..
    Personally I do 6 hours each.
    Seems that once the organics are gone it should be ready to recharge.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  2. M

Mamajin Well Known Member Member

It's always best to follow the directions from the manufacturer. I figure since Purigen doesn't last forever, why not follow the directions to get the best use out of the product.

3. k

k9z3boys Valued Member Member

we always end up going over the 24h - and 8 with prime- then the 4 with buffer.
    have you contacted seachem about using the shorter times?
    if it works then yippee...they may give you the reasoning for the times.

4. M

The buffer isn't needed anymore. They've just been lax with removing that step from the directions.

5. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with Mamajin, stick to the directions especially when it involves chemicals, molecular bonding, and things dangerous to our fish like bleach.

Bleach is what cleans out the Purigen and resets it for future use. The Prime is used to remove any bleach (chlorine) residue leftover by dechlorinating the water. 24 hours may be over kill for the bleach soak, but I think they want you to do this to be sure the Purigen is fully cleaned and reset and ready for next use. 8 hours for the Prime dechlorination is just to be thoroughly sure that the Purigen has no chlorine left that could easily harm, stress, or even kill our fish if not fully neutralized.

A tip for Purigen users, is to have 2 separate bags or portions of purigen that you rotate out. This way you can replace the old Purigen with a new ready to go bag/portion that you have already bleached and dechlorinated. Then that gives you plenty of time to bleach and dechlorinate the dirty Purigen and get it ready for next time you switch them out. This may help so you are not in a rush to get the Purigen back ready to go and in your filter.

6. foxhill2

foxhill2 Valued Member Member

I just started using Purigen in my 55 gal. community tank. How long do you go before recharging it.....Does 2 to 3 weeks seem normal......... as that's when mine starts to go brown or do you wait until it's totally dark?

7. M

I wait until mine is totally dark, but it can go 2 months before that happens. Everyone's time will be different since most have different tank inhabitants and equipment.

8. k

k9z3boys Valued Member Member

ours go pretty fast because of the driftwood. supposedly they go about 6mo...we average about 3wks hopefully that will be longer before too long

9. foxhill2

foxhill2 Valued Member Member

That's good to know...I'll wait a little longer until it's darker. Have no problem with that!

10. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

I am far, far too simple to do anything but simply follow the instructions; they have yet to fail me:)-------rick

11. OP
    OP
    skar

skar Well Known Member Member

Yes. I understand that it is usually better to follow directions. I've done it this way for quite awhile no harm has been noticed. I use two purigens in my tank at a time :) I rinse super well before I reintroduce it to my tank. I also over use prime about 5 cups of water to 2 caps of prime :p.

It just seems if it removes organic waste
    And you replace or clean it according to color. It seems excessive to bleach it for 24 hrs.

Thank you

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice