Purigen vs. Good ol' Activated Carbon

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by csutter1, Aug 9, 2014.

1. csutter1

csutter1 Valued Member Member

Any suggestions on which is "better"? Maybe just use both? I'm thinking perhaps separate the two in one tray of my canister by filter floss. Or would I be better off skipping one (or both) and just loading up on bio-media for my top 3 trays?

I'm planning on getting a SunSun HW-304B for my hypothetical 72G bow front cichlid tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  2. P

Paul1792 Valued Member Member

Purigen beats carbon hands down. Look at the reviews on line and in other aquarium forumsl. I run three 100 ml bags of it in my 38 gallon and two in my 29 gallon. When you "stagger" them they last longer so it no more expensive to use more than one at a time. Together with micron polishing pads, Purigen makes the water crystal clear and polished. Oldest bag in my 38 gallon is a year old and it just finally got dark enough (like coffee grounds) that I'm going to trash it. It can be recharged but I don't trust the chlorine bleach method. It costs less over the long haul than carbon and does much more.

3. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

First off, you don't "need" purigen or carbon, as they are sort of a extra type thing. They remove organics from the water that are often removed via water change. Some fish keepers like to have the extra protection and cleaning power of a chemical media like purigen or carbon.

If you were going to use one, then purigen is by far the better option. Carbon lasts about 2 - 3 weeks then needs to be replaced. Purigen can be recharged almost indefinitely. The bleach recharging method is completely safe assuming you follow the instructions and use a dechlorinator afterwards. I suggest getting twice as much Purigen as you plan on putting in your filter, then you can rotate them out. Cleaning and recharging one set while other set is in filter. Then you will be ready to go at next filter maintenance to rotate them out and clean/recharge the dirty set. This way you don't have to rush to get the purigen back into the filter.

Also, good choice with the SunSun canister, I have the HW-302 on my 40 gallon and it runs great. I don't use any chemical media in my filters. I have mine stocked with sponge coarse filter, then polishing pads, then a ton of Seachem Matrix bio-media, the a few more polishing pads. It does a great job and my water is crystal clear. I keep cherry shrimp, which can be sensitive to bad stuff in the water and my colony is steadily growing and extremely healthy, without any chemical media.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice