Purigen VS Carbon!

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well right now I have carbon in my filter, and I am at the stage of wanting to replace for aesthetic reasons, and am not sure whether purigen or carbon will turn out cheaper in the long run.
The LFS staff showed me Purigen and I like the way it is rechargeable. except seacheme say that if you use anime based water conditioners, it will render it unrechargeable. Is API's Stress Coat compatible?

dking271

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Purigen is one of the best water scrubbing products that I have used. The biggest difference between Purigen and carbon, is that if you do not change carbon often, it will release all of the toxins that it filtered back into the tank. API Stress Coat is not compatible with Purigen.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI ranga,
I'd first check if you really need carbon or similar. i.e. do you have discoloration/odours you're trying to remove from the water?

If not, then IMO, you don't need to run any form of chemical filtration. I spent a lot of money on carbon over the years, only realise it was doing nothing for my tank. My water was just as clear without it.

However, I do recommend keeping a pouch of something in your 'box of tricks' just in case the need arises.

As for cost, carbon is a lot cheaper. Purigen is probably a better product for it's cleaning/polishing ability, and also apparently traps nitrogenous waste.

If you want to use Purigen, I strongly advise that you put the product as the very last media that your water passes through in the filter (which is where you want your water polishing anyway). That way, your cycle should still hold when you bleach the Purigen to recharge it.

On an environmental front, anything is better than carbon

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
OK, well I think I use the carbon only when I visibly need it, like only use a tablespoon when I can see that the water is showing tannins. If I get carbon, it will take me around four years to have paid the same price of the Purigen.

~to dking271~ Carbon does not release the toxins and whatever back into the tank, it just can't hold anymore.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
ranga97 said:
~to dking271~ Carbon does not release the toxins and whatever back into the tank, it just can't hold anymore.
+1 This is correct. Carbon does not leech chemicals OUT, it only stops absorbing when it become inactive.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
+2. There are reports that given enough time, carbon will also become a home for bacteria.

ranga, how 'bad' is the tannin leaching? i.e. how long does it take to go from clear to 'tea'. You might find it's simply easier and less frustrating just to leave the carbon in the filter the whole time and swap it out regularly

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That's what I mean. Only replace it when I need to (or want to for aesthetics.)

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How good is Aquarworld carbon pellets mixed with aquapet carbon granules?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads