Purigen vs Activated Carbon

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Dat Kitty, Jun 30, 2016.

1. D

Dat Kitty New Member Member

I don't know much about Purigen but heard about it while doing filter research. Id like to hear your recommendations and experiences, as well as any information you can give. Thanks.

2. Greener907

Greener907 Valued Member Member

I haven't used AC but I did try a purigen pad in my HOB filter and the results are amazing. I had green water and it cleared it up in just a few days. I love it, and the fact you can refresh it and use it over again. Good deal in my book!

3. E

Evolution Stu New Member Member

Purigen is awesome.

New Vs 2 week old...

[​IMG]

Also, before:
    p2078529835-4.jpg

24hrs later
    p2078566578-4.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2016
  4. RockLobster

RockLobster New Member Member

I personally believe Purigen beats carbon any day. I have a planted tank and have heard that purigen doesn't suck as much nutrients from the water column.

5. Greener907

Greener907 Valued Member Member

When you refresh your purigen do you use a buffer? I'm wondering if it is necessary for my tank..

6. clark12

clark12 Valued Member Member

i wanted to get in on this, i too am wondering about buffer. i just recharged my bag for the first time. very strong smell of prime. is this ok? not trying to hi jack your thread. i didn't use buffer and wondering if i need too

7. g

g25racer Valued Member Member

I have 5 different bags of purigen and love it! I will never use carbon again. I have recharged mine a few times now.

I don't use a buffer and just soak in treated water for a few days and then rinse very well. I keep spares and just rotate that way I don't have to run my filter without the purigen.

I keep 2 of them in my sunsun 304 on my 75 as they get dirty quite quickly.

8. RockLobster

RockLobster New Member Member

Honestly I don't try to recharge it because I always want to maximum effect so I just buy a new one once I believe the old one is used up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice