Purigen - Is it really needed? Question

1. virusmk Well Known Member Member

Ive been doing some reading on Seachem Purigen and i did stared wondering should i get it and is it going to be worth it having to mess up with my filter.

I am not sure do i really need it in my filter and how much benefits i will have from having it

So i just wanted to get some toughs on in and some experience in this would be much helpfull

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Some people swear by it keeping their water crystal clear. Do you need it? That depends on whether you want sparkling water or a more natural look.
    Personally I wouldn't use it as fishkeeping is expensive as it is & if my fish don't need it then it doesn't get bought.

3. Jim Well Known Member Member

Purigen is a luxury.

4. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

Purigen works very well but I would never use it. It will starve off most of the beneficial bacteria (BB). If you don't regenerate it when necessary you WILL get an ammonia-nitrite spike that could harm/kill your fish. I feel using it goes against why many of us got into fish keeping by which we enjoy learning about how nature solves it's problems, not some science lab mass producing a synthetic media. Like/said it works very well if it's what you want. hope this helps

5. FishTank Maniacz Well Known Member Member

I have purigen and love it! When I'm not using it, my tank gets filled with tannins from the driftwood

6. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

Yes, Purigen does a better job at that than does Carbon. When the tannins do clear on their own how will you know? If you ever decide to become un-hooked on the un-natural you will have to re-cycle the tank which is fine but.....some thing to consider.

7. virusmk Well Known Member Member

I keep discuses and last thing that i need is having a mini cycles. I have few pieces of driftwood and almond leafs at all the times, so i in a way got used to yeilowish water and also tanins do help to keep water softer and more stable.

I forgot to mention early that i have nitrates ranging 20-40 so that was mg original idea if purigen helps to keep them around 20 and below as i do overfeed.

8. Paul1792 Member Member

That is not correct. What is your authority for saying that?

I run two 100 ml bags of purigen in my 29 gallon and three in my 38 gallon. My water is crystal clear and polished due to the combination of Purigen and micron polishing pads in my Fluval C series filters. My fish are vibrant and healthy and my water paramaters always check out Ammo 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10-30 with my API master test kit. I do 20% weekly water changes.

Purigen It is not that much of a "luxury" unless you pay full retail for it at your local Petland. It costs $8 for a 100 ml bag online

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4190

which lasts about four months or more before you re-charge it. I don't like the idea of re-charging with bleach so I just trash it when it turns as dark brown as coffee grounds. Since I run multiple bags, I can change them out at alternate intervals and using more than one bag costs the same in the long run since each bag lasts longer..

I started using it last August so my oldest bag is almost a year old .... and is due to be changed soon. Here's what what the chemical chamber of my Fluval C4 looks like with 2 purigen, some seachem matrix, & floss.

http://s948.photobucket.com/user/Pa...atrixampFloss_zpsbd52e54d.jpg.html?sort=6&o=5

9. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

Yes it does starve the BB (you should know this?), Paul1792 . I never said it doesn't work, just why I and many who like to run tanks naturally don't. If you like using a synthetic media-GREAT, I'm proud of you :).
    * I never commented on it being a luxury (someone else did) and I bleach my sump socks for both my FW & SW without ever having had a problem. If you choose to save some $ you may want to try it out, just follow the instructions by READING :).

* I relish in understanding how aerobic & anaerobic BB function and proud that my tank is for the most part biologically sustained by such and wondrous process of nature.

10. Paul1792 Member Member

Starving BB is only applicable when you are cycling your tank and the instructions are clear that it should not be added until a tank is fully cycled. I have only put it in my tanks after they are fully cycled.

Here is from the Seachem website which addresses the issue you raise:

http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/showthread.php?t=6938

01-28-2013, 13:41
    Administrator Join Date: Apr 2009

Re: Purigen for cycling a tank?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the misunderstanding!

I would recommend using Purigen after you have fully cycled your aquarium and your biological filter is established. Yes, Purigen removes the pre-cursor to ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate (nitrogenous organic waste), so if you are cycling, I would hold off on using the Purigen until your biological filter is fully established. Once it has fully cycled, there will be plenty of bacteria colonized on the media and enough waste produced by the inhabitants, that your bacteria will not be starved and the Purigen will simply help to control organic buildup, thus controlling ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

I can assure you that there will be plenty of waste to go around once your biological filter is established. I use plenty of Purigen in my fully stocked planted tank without issue.

I hope this helps!

As for the comment about it being a "luxury," I know you never said that ..... I was responding to the person who did.

11. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Having read roadrunner's earlier statement it peaked my interest so I've been reading comments about it from various sources and opinions seem to be split, 50%on it being a wonder product & 50% on it causing spikes if you stop using it.
    Interesting response from Seachem, however I'd prefer to to see scientific evidence on whether it does or does not starve BB from an impartial source rather an employee of the company who make it & who will of course extol it's virtues & gloss over any negatives.

12. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

If one reads between the lines with an educated point of view on BB, it states that it WILL prevent or limit the colonization of BB. In using Purigen it will also limit the amount of BB that can be sustained and by removing it will cause a spike.

*BTW, there's also a lot of conjecture on using it in a planted tank :).