Pure Ammonia?

1. willjames37

willjames37 New Member Member

I've started cycling my new 40g tank. I feel like it's taking a while, but that's not my main question. When I bought the ammonia, I made sure to get clear unscented, and the only ingredient listed is ammonium hydroxide. I thought it was good since it didn't list surfactant. But I just shook the bottle out of curiosity, and there were some bubbles around the edges that didn't go away. It's not fizzy or anything, but I heard bubbles mean it's not suitable for cycling? If I have the wrong ammonia will I have to clean out the whole tank or just get the right kind and keep going? If there was surfactant aren't they obligated to list it in the ingredients?

2. andychrissytank

andychrissytank Valued Member Member

3. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

What brand? Someone here can may be able to answer based on experience with the product.

4. N

Natalya Well Known Member Member

What brand do you generally recommend for cycling?

5. OP
    OP
    willjames37

willjames37 New Member Member

It's a local grocery store brand. I doubt anyone has heard of it. Oh man. Looks like I have a long day ahead of me. I'm guessing I have to take all the sand out and rinse that too. And the filter. The cycle was taking a while so maybe the soap was stalling it. I'm kind of a weakling so redoing this tank is gonna be exhausting *facepalm*

6. T

Tommy Truong New Member Member

If you have an Ace Hardware store around your area, buy a bottle there. It's Ace Hardware Janitorial Strength Ammonia, 10% Ammonium hydroxide solution.

7. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Just put the right stuff in and do WCs as you go. It will be OK. You don't have to remove every last bit of it today, but I would do a huge WC and get most of it gone now.