Pure ammonia vs tetra safe start

1. J

Joshstevens7 New Member Member

Pure ammonia vs tetra safe start for new fish less tank to cycle? I been hearing both ways. I want to get a 46 curved front tank and trying to figure out which way I want to cycle it

Also. For a 46 gallon tank. Should I go with a filter for a 60 gallon tank or even a 100? For freshwater tanks is gravel or sand the best to use? Right now I have gravel in my small tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. b

bowen747x Valued Member Member

TSS is not for fishless cycles, it doesn't work that way. if you have an already established tank you can use the filter media from your original tank to start a new one.

3. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Josh!

I think you are confusing two different methods of cycling an aquarium. The first is what is referred to as a fish less cycle where the tank is cycled by adding ammonia to the tank to mimic as if there was fish in producing ammonia to build your beneficial bacterial colony. The second method, us using a bacterial supplement like TSS, Colony, Bio Spira to cycle your tank with fish in it. Both methods are effective, but take note that there are special instructions on how to cycle with the bacterial supplement products that vary by manufacturer.

With regard to your filtration and substrate, this will depend on the species and type of tank you wish to keep. Have you selected what species of fish you wish to stock this tank with ? any plants or inverts ? This information would be very helpful.

4. OP
    OP
    J

Right now I have platys and Molly's in my small tank with a pleco and a small catfish. Been told it's over crowded so thinking of just going big and getting the tank I want.

5. M

Mamajin Well Known Member Member

No need for me to reiterate what has already been said, since it was said so well. ;)

I will add to it though; should you decide to use the media from your current tank to seed the new tank, I highly recommend tossing in a bottle of Dr Tim's One & Only. (Same man that created Tetra Safe Start). The difference between TSS and One & Only is with TSS you should not do a water change for 14 days after adding it, even if you are just supplementing. One & Only can tolerate water changes and is a strong product to use as a supplement when seeding... it will help prevent an interruption in the cycle. I've used it just for that many times... amazing product.

One & Only is difficult to find locally, but you can order it directly from Dr Tim's web site. He normally tosses in a free bottle of Ammonium Chloride drops (huge huge bottle, and you will use it eventually).

http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/

6. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

7. OP
    OP
    J

How do you like your set up with the bow front and fluval? Thinking of getting exact same thing

8. jdhef

I am very happy with that setup.

9. OP
    OP
    J

would you change anything if you could? would you get a different tank or a different filter now that you are using this one? and what size fluval did you get? im thinking 306 but not sure

10. jdhef

Well of course I would like a larger tank but the 46 was the largest that would fit in the family room. I have the 306 and I am very happy with it.

11. OP
    OP
    J

im asking this question because i currently have a 10gallon up and running and want to get the 46 gallon tank. so should i do the fishless cycle or go with the tetra safestart, and add the fish sooner. i know most say fishless cycle is way to go, and since i already have a tank i could do that. my problem is my tank is overcrowded making me do more water changes and such now.