Purchasing Plants at Petco

• Thread starter NewAtFishKeeping
  • Start date

NewAtFishKeeping

I went to my local Petco the other day and noticed that they have tanks filled with lots of different plants. I had my eye on one (I think it might have been watersprite or something similar, don't know exactly) but didn't purchase because I wanted to do research if it would be ok to purchase plants from Petco.

After doing research, I found out that one of the major issues is that Petco sells non aquatic plants. If that is all there is to be concerned about really, I would return to the store and when I have chosen which ones I would like to possibly purchase I will look at the names on the tags and do research while in the store to make sure it is aquatic.

Besides for the non aquatic plants issue and just how the plants actually look, is there anything else I need to be aware of before purchasing?

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known

deadhead

The plants they have in tubes are usually in good shape. The last time I looked at the plants they had in an aquarium, everything was covered in Black Beard Algae. What a mistake it would have been to bring any of those home.

If the plants are in good shape why should it matter if it's Petco or anywhere else?

JettsPapa

Fishlore VIP
I've bought plants at Petco with no issues.

NewAtFishKeeping

SanDiegoRedneck said:
With a hydrogen peroxide dip to kill pathogens I see no issues.
Thanks! How do I create a hydrogen peroxide dip? Do I combine some with aquarium water? If so, how much? For how long do I leave the plants dipped in the solution?

NewAtFishKeeping

JettsPapa said:
I've bought plants at Petco with no issues.
Thanks!

NewAtFishKeeping

deadhead said:
The plants they have in tubes are usually in good shape. The last time I looked at the plants they had in an aquarium, everything was covered in Black Beard Algae. What a mistake it would have been to bring any of those home.

If the plants are in good shape why should it matter if it's Petco or anywhere else?
Thanks for your reply!

Bamboothebetta

I bought all my plants at Petco an PETSMART. Only the kinds in the tubes though, as they are guaranteed to be free of snails. I’ve read the ones in their tanks are often infested with snail eggs and I definitely don’t want snails!

Top Bottom