Puppy lost a footpad Help

Discussion in 'Dogs' started by Acereaux, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Acereaux

Acereaux Valued Member Member

Hey everyone I could use some advice please.

So I'm not quite sure how to word it so you all can best understand what I'm trying to convey so I'm just going to list the facts. The puppy is under a year old and has lost a footpad on his front left paw. The poor thing stepped on glass and the entire pad was "apparently" cut off and he is almost always limping or holding his paw off the ground which has been going on for months (I don't know the full story of what happened here, all I know is that I don't trust his current owners to take care of him or the other four dogs and six cats that they have). Do any of you have advice on how to help the pad regrow and to treat it? I'm planning on taking him to the vet to have him examined and hopefully have the wound properly cleaned and bandaged but don't have enough time or money to take care of a puppy but feel like I'm his only chance to heal and be able to walk properly again. Any ideas on what I can do for him?

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Just be careful taking an animal that is not your own to the vet. It can cause quite a few legal problems for yourself and the vet if the owners are not okay with it. Maybe try to talk to the owners? They might be unaware of how serious this issue is.

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I don't know where you live but the city I live in, we're only allowed to have three dogs at the most and all of them have to be licensed with a rabies certificate every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

One of my dogs breaks, strips, or bursts his pads every time I take him for a hike. It never takes more than a few weeks for him to heal up and walk normally again.

Honestly, though, if this puppy is not yours, get permission from its owners in writing before you do anything. If you feel the peoples' pets are not being taken care of properly, the best thing you can do is report them to animal services.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice