puppy keeps eating the cat food

redlessi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
??? my new puppy Macho keeps stealing the cat's food, will it make him sick? I now have to find a new place for the cat to eat.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't know if the food will make him sick, but he can over eat.
My dogs used to eat the cat food. I got the cats a small plastic table to elevate their food.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As a puppy, he needs the specific nutrients found in puppy food. Not in cat food. He will not be as healthy and grow as well as he could if allowed to keep eating the cat food. This is a change you really need to make immediately.

This is also a good opportunity to teach your puppy boundaries. I have worked with countless rescue dogs on food issues, one of course being aggression. They need to learn that their dish is their dish, period. Now, I have three rescue dogs of my own and they don't dare go near the other dishes.

When I still had my cat, I also had two dogs. And yeah, dogs love cat food. Not to mention, dogs will eat anything they can get into their mouths. Anyway, I had to take Sasha's food and put it into the master bathroom, so that the dogs couldn't get to it. Cats adjust really quickly, so don't worry about changing location.

redlessi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
He has gotten quite round, lol. I will have to see if I can find something like that.

I am trying to teach boundaries and when caught I made him sit and stay away from the dish. So instead of eating the food he growls and barks at the bowl and when you are not paying attention he steals again.

I am going to move it for now until I can find something to elevate it on.

Thanks much

lorabell

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
haha!!!! all of my dogs love cat food....my poor adult cats have to eat up on my dryer......they just learned to get up there...that way I can leave a full bowl for them at all times and nobody else gets it....

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm sure he's cute as a button, but you don't want a round puppy either.....

This is what I put my three dogs through at dinner:

1) They must sit or lay quietly at the entrance to the kitchen, not in the kitchen, while I'm preparing the dishes (this teaches them patience).

2) They must enter the kitchen only when their individual name is called (this makes them focus on the sound of their own name and helps tremendously during the "come" training).

3) When they enter the kitchen, they each go to the place they've picked out to eat, and they must sit/lay quietly again (again, patience).

4) The dishes are placed on the floor in front of them, but they are not allowed to touch until I release them by saying "go ahead" (reminds them that I am alpha and food comes from me).

When they are finished, they come to me for lots of praise, hugs and kisses.....

Mostly, we have laid back dogs with not a lot of rules during the day, i.e., they are allowed on the sofa or laps. So, I sprinkle in just enough "training" exercises to keep my position as alpha.

Did you post a pic of the pup? I didn't think so.....

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LyndaB, do you make training house calls? Feeding our 4 dogs gets pretty crazy around here! LOL

Seriously though, cat food isn't good for dogs from what I understand. Our cats have to eat on top of a bookshelf so the dogs can't get into their food. The litter box is on top of the dryer for, uh, similar reasons.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Even my pet sitter says she can't get her dogs to behave at dinner time....

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Our cats are fed up high, where the dogs cant get to. And in a room that they shouldnt be in anyway (the kitchen or bathroom). If they set foot in either of those rooms they get corrected right away.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
lol Can we see the puppy?

My dogs have learned not to eat the cat food. I only use dry cat food and never cans. They know they can drink from the cats water dish and they know not to touch the food. Every now and then, but rarely, one of my dogs (usually Ekaterina) will eat it.

I'm very proud of my dogs manners.

I'm giving one of these to all of your "nawty" dogs!
Ken, Ekaterina, Serge

hmmm for some reason the dog smiley isn't running. ???

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I use the "leave it" command to teach my dog not to touch something. I don't have a cat (Mom's allergic to fur) but it works for all sorts of stuff. My pup used to snap at the carpenter bees and I didn't want her stung (the females have stingers, the males don't). I sat outside with her next to where the bees were building a home and every time she made a move towards one, it was "leave it". Then she got a treat when she looked away from the bee. Now she doesn't bother them at all. It also worked to keep her from chasing cats when we were on walks. And from eating whatever we found on the sidewalk or at the park while we were walking, and if we were having a party and had food outside with her (no stealing the hotdog out of our bun!). It is a good all around "don't touch that" command. I also taught her "wait". It is similar to the stay command, but she knows that when I tell her okay, she can have what she wants. She just has to "wait" until I tell her okay. I use it when I give her a special dinner (she has dry food always available) or when we are going out for a walk or when I have to go out through the gate and I don't want her following (she is a gate charger). I'll have her either sit or lay down and put a treat about an inch from her nose and tell her to wait. She won't budge until I'm through the gate with the gate closed and tell her okay.

Leave it and Wait. Two very important commands. Almost as important as Come.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ken, it's running, not to worry..... that pup is no couch potato.....

gremlin said:
... and put a treat about an inch from her nose and tell her to wait.
I love putting a treat on the tip of their nose and making them "wait". It's hilarious.

redlessi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You guys are the best!!!!

I simply love this forum.........

Thanks much

This pic is with his original owner from when I first got him......

Attachments

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I dunno.... that looks like a pretty dangerous dog....

redlessi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
He is definitely not as innocent as he looks, more like a little ball of dynamite.........

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Very CUTE!

Kristyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I had the same problem with my dog when she was a puppy eating the cat food. We asked the vet if she would get sick and he said in the short term she would probably just get an upset stomach but if we continued to allow her to eat the cat food on a regular basis she could develop kidney problems later in life. Cute puppy though

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks Red. I think I remember it now. Beautiful!

Ken

Alee C.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Cat food has way more fat in it then dog or puppy food, therefore it is not good for the puppy. Could you put the cat food somewhere the dog can't reach, like another room, or on a window sill or somthing? If not then just remember with puppies you need to be consistent. Don't let the dog eat the cat food one day and then get upset another. Everytime the puppy goes near the food, either block him from eating it, or pull him away from it. I don't see the point in hitting a dog, nor getting upset and yelling at them.

If you get angry, or frustrated dogs can feel that energy. You don't even have to speak to the dog to get them away from the cat food, just pull them away.

redlessi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I ended up putting the cat food up on the washer machine.

Thanks

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads