Pumping air directly into your HOB filter

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by West Allis Dad, Nov 29, 2012.

1. West Allis DadNew MemberMember

Hi everyone

I am newbie to freshwater tanks and this site. (converted from saltwater). I read somewhere since most of your good bacteria live in your filter you could supercharge that bacteria by putting a airstone in there and hook it to a pump?? Anyone ever tried this?? Thanks

West Allis Dad

2. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to the hobby and the forum! A lot of bacteria do live in the filter media, and a more oxygenated tank does help. I am sure someone who uses airstones will be along shortly!

3. Bumblebat

BumblebatWell Known MemberMember

The purpose of an airstone isn't necessarily to "pump"oxygen in to the water. It disturbs the water and circulates it to create surface movement to allow for better gas exchange. Which does introduce more oxygen to the water column. I have no idea if your bacteria would benefit from an airstone in the filter. I guess its possible. If someone knows a bit more about it, I'd be curious to hear it.

4. jetajockey

jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

I guess it'd help in theory, assuming you don't already have maximum o2 saturation to begin with.

A tank with a proper sized filter and an airstone in it is likely already at maximum, so the effects would be negligible at best.

5. OP
    OP
    W

West Allis DadNew MemberMember

The tank is a Marineland 56 gallon column. 48 pounds of substrate. We use a Aqueon 55/75 HOB filter rated at 400 gph. Right now we do not run airstones. The question is should we be?? Here is a current picture of the setup.

tank2.JPG

6. jetajockey

jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

I don't think it'll make much of a difference. They look cool in certain setups though :)

7. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I don't own an air stone.

8. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I have never had the need to add an air stone to my filters to super charge the beneficial bacteria. Should you have a power outage, a battery powered air pump added to the filter would be a good idea, or, you can add the filter media to the main tank and add a battery powered air pump there so that the fish and beneficial bacteria have oxygen.

I have 6 of these on hand in case of emergencies.

Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice