Pulling up rooted plants?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by DanB80TTS, Jul 21, 2015.

1. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTSWell Known MemberMember

I am going to rescape my tank as some of my plants are not getting the light they need as other plants have grown over them.
    My main concern is with my dwarf hairgrass, what is the best way to tear that out? My DHG has not carpeted since I don't have super high light or injected CO2, but much of it has sent out runners.
    It may seem like a noob question but when I bought the stuff it was in a pot and I seperated it and planted it. I want to replant it so need it in good condition.

The other plants are Swords and I think a crypt, pulling them out I'm sure is easy but should I trim their roots back at all as I'm sure they have spread under the sand and become pretty long.

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

When I moved my swords and crypts they had really long roots everywhere. My tank is dirted so I cut some of the roots so I wouldn't make a really big mess. When I moved my DHG, I slowly pulled the hairgrass until it came out. Some runners will come out too.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Just kind of wiggle them up. Pull them up gently, going back and forth if needed, and they should pop out.

4. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

+1
    That's exactly how I did it and it worked :).

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

just pulled up the first DHG, it has about a 4 inch runner, do I just cut each strand off and replant it when I get to that point?

6. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

I try to replant them without cutting them. But it's a pain. You can cut and replant. It won't hurt them and is easier.

7. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

Ok thanks, going to be a late night tonight!
    Hopefully this will look as nice as it does in my head.

8. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

Finally over and done with, I think I threw away a ton of DHG because of how tedious it was and how impatient and in pain I was. Much bigger task than I thought and my back is killing me now!
    not sure if I like what I did, tank needs to clear up some too.
    Before:

After:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  9. AltairaNew MemberMember

Looks very nice...more balanced. Any critters in your tank?

10. sophi

sophiWell Known MemberMember

Just wanted to wish you good luck with your DHG. I recently had to rip out mine as well when redoing my 20 gallon, and I only had a small little clump survive. In the old set up, I had an entire beautiful carpet, but it just didn't do well when I tried moving it. The roots turning to mush and about 90% of it died. :/ I don't know if this plant does well when being ripped up and replanted but we'll find out. Please post updates as your plants grow!! :)

11. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

Altaira All the tanks residents are listed in my profile. Been thinking about getting some cherry shrimp too since the ghost shrimp have almost died off. Need to wait for some growth first before I add in small shrimp like that though.

I don't think I have completely finished planting, that was just using what was in the tank already, I have some other plants that need to grow in in other tanks, once they do I shall be stealing their babies.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice