Pugilistic Puffers?

1. wildatheart

wildatheart Valued Member Member

I have some tiny pea puffers and was told they were carnivorous!

Will they eat my Amano shrimp?

Will they go after other fish?

They are pretty small, but do seem to have a "devil may care" attitude that leads me to think they might attack anything.
    They are peaceful when observed.
    No one has died yet.

There was a shrimp murder mystery about a week back...
    But my eye was on the Chinese algae eater as the perpetrator

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Pea puffers are generally kept in species only tanks for this very reason.... they are extremely aggressive. Size doesn't matter to them LOL.

Now I want some for my 8 gallon after I decontaminate it :/ thanks a lot LOL.

3. Tonia

Tonia Well Known Member Member

I adore my Pea Puffers/ Dwarf puffers. They are in a species only tank and they are super happy. Yes, they will find a way to eat your shrimp and they are most definitely carnivorous. Puffers are known to choose another fish in the tank and start attacking by going after fins first, then taking bites out of the other fish. They are molluscoids meaning that they eat snails and they also prefer other live foods. Most puffers would prefer to hunt for their food than eat frozen foods. They can be trained to accept frozen blood worms and possibly frozen brine shrimp, but they will always prefer live food. Mosquito larvae, live blood worms, daphnia, anything aquatic and live is good.

I would seriously suggest getting them out of the community tank. They are not a community fish.

4. OP
    OP
    wildatheart

Thanks for all the info.
    I can't believe I didn't know this.
    Guess the fish store folks just wanted to make a sale.
    Luckily I've got a little 3 gal cycling now that's empty I could move them to.
    I feel bad, they seem happy in the tank and don't go after other fish.

But in hindsight I have had a few mysterious shrimp deaths over the last 6 months ( 2 shrimp)

Looks like the puffers must go.

Is a 3 gal too small for two tiny puffers??

I feel like it might be. They like to zoom.

5. Tonia

Tonia Well Known Member Member

The 3 gallon may hold them for now, but If possible, they may prefer an 8-10g. I kept 2 in an 8g until one died because she got caught behind a filter. Now I have 4 in a 15g columnar tank. They seem to really like this one because there are plenty of plants and also open spaces where they can swim. I love watching them. They are like tiny submarines. If you call them, Winston especially, they will come to the front of the tank. Well.. everyone will except our one little girl that likes to stay in the plants.

The only thing in the tank with them are 3 oto cats. For some reason, several sites agreed that puffers seem ok with oto's. Mine eat snails, mosquito larvae that I cultivate.. buckets kept outside for the purpose of harvesting mosquito larvae... live red worms, sometimes frozen blood worms and daphnia that I raise in winter.

6. OP
    OP
    wildatheart

Yeah they are everyone's favorite and by far the smartest fish in the tank. The 6 months I've had them I've never seen any aggression from them except between each other, with the larger one chasing the smaller.
    But I've had 2 large snails die on me, and in the last month 2 shrimp died.
    The other snails and shrimp are ok so I figured it was some sort of attack and not conditions that killed them, but I suspected my Chinese algae eater.

I'm gonna keep an eye on them.
    I do have a 10 gal with 2 Flagfish and some mosquito fish. So I could just swap them into there and put the flags in the main community tank.

The 3 gal just seems mean after being in a 30