Puffers With Corys Will This Work?

Zoomo
Now that I have a 40 gallon breeder tank for my Mystery snails and my few Albino Cory's, thought of adding a few minipuffer fish, but read the puffers will eat snails. Will they eat these huge mystery snails? I really want these fish and do not want to lose my snails either. No, you cannot get another tank Zoomo. No more tanks. I just need something to go in this 40 gallon breeder and I love the minipuffers. Please tell me this would work, please.

And if they ignore big mystery snails, what can I feed these things? I do not really like doing live food either, grrr, and I don't want to be overrun with pest snails, even more grrr. I don't really like any other fish. I want puffers. I do not like tetras or angelfish or discus, the only think that even slightly interests me is maybe killifish, but I want puffers. I don't like guppies or mollies. I like gold fish some but I think the 40 gallon is too small for these fish in the long run, since I like the big gold fish with the big eyes. I don't like shrimp. I won't be planting it, it probably won't have gravel because of the piggy mystery snails, but maybe that won't be a problem in the 40-gallon breeder.

Say I put 2 puffers in there, how many snails a week do they need to eat each? Do they eat worms like those worms you feed lizards?

aussieJJDude
You can suppliment their diet with snails, they also accept other food sources.

In saying that, they will probably prey on the younger/babies... so that will help control the population a bit once the adults go.

Zoomo
You can suppliment their diet with snails, they also accept other food sources.

In saying that, they will probably prey on the younger/babies... so that will help control the population a bit once the adults go.

I read onthat the puffers will attack the cory's, is that true?

dwarfpufferlover
I would stay away from any puffer fish in a community. It may end up working but if it doesn’t you’d have to get another tank and separate them as something you stated you can’t do.

Zoomo
I would stay away from any puffer fish in a community. It may end up working but if it doesn’t you’d have to get another tank and separate them as something you stated you can’t do.

Puffers are literally the only fish I want. Sigh. Anything else like Puffers in behavior, like Clown Loaches look similar to them, but they are only bottom dwellers, right? Okay, what will work in this 40 gallon breeder with 6 corys and some mystery snails, Please, and has a neat personality (I like the dog/cat like behavior of the puffers and their eyes and how they hover rather than swim), not a hiding fish, something that is outgoing not mean, etc. Any ideas?

I can do a small tank for puffers, just do not want to expand my maintenance needs any further because of my back issue. It is excruciating as it is to do my water maintenance, and one more tank would probably just push me over the edge. Luckily, my 17 yo son helps me with the buckets and stuff but there is still the bending and sucking dirt and what not that really hurts my back and I have to wait till he is, 1. awake (he sleeps alot), 2. Is home from school, and 3. I can drag him away from his computer and gaming.

I can only put one of my male bettas in here, right, even with it being 40 gallons?

dwarfpufferlover
I understand, I am not the greatest at stocking but maybe TexasDomer can help sometime later, or another member.

TexasDomer
What about something like a group of dwarf cichlids? Keyholes are pretty and peaceful. Cichlids can have a dog-like personality too, recognizing you when you're near the tank.

Zoomo
What about something like a group of dwarf cichlids? Keyholes are pretty and peaceful. Cichlids can have a dog-like personality too, recognizing you when you're near the tank.

Some of them are really pretty too. I will look into it. My cory's are in heaven and so are my mystery snails, I have the 40-gallon breeder up and running and I desperately need some decorations in there. It look so nice but no light, yet, sigh, or cover, but my 5 gallon was coverless too but I had a tiny light taped to the shelve above the tank. Can't do that here, there is nothing above the 40.

TexasDomer
You could make hanging lights or a DIY light setup if you want to stay lidless. Google "DIY aquarium lighting" - so many option! Some lights will work on rimless tanks too though - clamps (another DIY route) or aquarium lights can sit on the rim.

Zoomo
You could make hanging lights or a DIY light setup if you want to stay lidless. Google "DIY aquarium lighting" - so many option! Some lights will work on rimless tanks too though - clamps (another DIY route) or aquarium lights can sit on the rim.

I would like a lid really and now that I have the 40-gallon breeder, seems it is a standard size so can find a relatively affordable lid with a light in it. I do not plan to do plants so probably just a regular light will work. Need different heater, I have 2 in there, an old preset and a 25 watt I think that I had in the 5 gallon and it worked fine, is not heating the water enough. It is currently 75 in there. Desperately need decorations and some gravel or something. Had gravel-less in the 5 gallon.

TexasDomer
Sand! Go with sand over gravel - much easier to clean and most fish, especially cories, prefer it.

Aqua Hands
just get one in a 5 gallon

Zoomo
Sand! Go with sand over gravel - much easier to clean and most fish, especially cories, prefer it.

Can I add it w/o draining the tank? and I guess from reading here, pool sand is the way to go?

TexasDomer
You can, with something like a PVC pipe to direct the sand. It's much easier to drain the tank though - super easy to put the fish in a bucket while you do it.

Pool sand is great, though if you wanted black sand, Black Diamond blasting sand is a good way to go.

Zoomo
You can, with something like a PVC pipe to direct the sand. It's much easier to drain the tank though - super easy to put the fish in a bucket while you do it.

Pool sand is great, though if you wanted black sand, Black Diamond blasting sand is a good way to go.

When I get the python and if the water does not clear up in a few days (which it did last time I fed them), I will have to take all the water out. I tried sand before with these Snails in the 5 gallon, but it was constantly smelly. It smelt like a sewer and so I am a bit iffy on sand, but I will try it again. I am not great with vacuuming meaning I aways stop up the tube with gravel or sand, drives me nuts. There are only 6 Cory catfish in there at the moment and the mystery snails.

just get one in a 5 gallon

Do you mean a puffer? Maybe, I have pretty much taken up my free room with this 40 and the 2 betta split tanks. I want them so bad though, you have no idea. My son's GF wants them too and she is not bothered with the fact that the puffers may eat the snails, but I love my snails.

SegiDream

Sorry this is a little off topic, I visited the ikea in atlanta last month (first time inside an ikea tbh) and I fell in LOVE with their lighting options, so much to choose from! This is one I got from there and absolutely love it for the 3 gallon bowl. And I'm tempted to get these or do something similar for my 40 .

Zoomo
Sorry this is a little off topic, I visited the ikea in atlanta last month (first time inside an ikea tbh) and I fell in LOVE with their lighting options, so much to choose from! This is one I got from there and absolutely love it for the 3 gallon bowl. And I'm tempted to get these or do something similar for my 40 .

Nice!!

Zoomo

My two 5.5 g from Aqua ONe, the betta duos, came with clamp on lights. Love them.

TexasDomer
When I get the python and if the water does not clear up in a few days (which it did last time I fed them), I will have to take all the water out. I tried sand before with these Snails in the 5 gallon, but it was constantly smelly. It smelt like a sewer and so I am a bit iffy on sand, but I will try it again. I am not great with vacuuming meaning I aways stop up the tube with gravel or sand, drives me nuts. There are only 6 Cory catfish in there at the moment and the mystery snails.

That shouldn't normally happen, so it sounds like something went wrong. Maybe you had the sand too deep? I would do 1" (without plants) or 2" (with plants). You don't want to go above 3" really. Adding MTS will help aerate the sand, too.

When you vacuum sand, don't put the siphon tube into the sand, just swirl it over the top to get the waste.

Zoomo
That shouldn't normally happen, so it sounds like something went wrong. Maybe you had the sand too deep? I would do 1" (without plants) or 2" (with plants). You don't want to go above 3" really. Adding MTS will help aerate the sand, too.

When you vacuum sand, don't put the siphon tube into the sand, just swirl it over the top to get the waste.

I had the sand right around the time I got the Mystery snails and didn't realize they had such a huge bioload and just thought the cloudiness was a bloom, but it was just their bio grossness in a too small of a tank, so my fault. The whole tank was white not just a haze, but white and it smelled gross. So, took the sand out and went with no gravel in this too small of a tank. MTS will reproduce extensively, won't they?

TexasDomer
Yes, but you hardly see them as they stay buried. You don't need them in a tank with sand, but if you're worried about gas pockets (sounds like that wasn't your problem before, just a lack of maintenance of the tank), then they're good to have.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• TheAnglerAquarist
  • Puffers
Replies
Views
jmaldo
Replies
Views
psalm18.2
Replies
Views
jdavi