Puffers/water Change.

1. Zoomo

Zoomo Well Known Member Member

I just did my first water change for them. They are all now floating on the top, not dead, but didn't go after the snails I put in for them to eat. Do they not like water changes? I used prime before putting the water in. I stayed away from them, sucked from front of tank, they were in back. I hope they don't die. Just checked their parameters, all looks good. Are they that sensitive? They all dove at the snails I put in early today.

2. MrBryan723

MrBryan723 Valued Member Member

How big of a tank and how much water did you. Change? Odds are they're just a bit stressed from the hand of god going in and messing with their environment. Or if you did a large change, the chemistry might have changed a bit and they're stressed about that.

3. OP
    OP
    Zoomo

It is 10 gallons. I did about 40%. Hopefully that is all it is.

4. OP
    OP
    Zoomo

They seem somewhat better today, not floating all the time, swimming around, but showing no interest in food. They float, then swim, then float, then swim, go to the bottom. I am paranoid now of doing water changes. Maybe I changed too much water at once. Who knows. Hope they do not die from not eating. Cannot wait for my deliveries of snails too. It takes me 20 or so minutes to dig out enough big ones to give them to eat. There are tons of the tiny babies on the sides of tank but they are like tiny coffee grounds. Hopefully tomorrow one of them comes in. They won't eat blood worms.

5. UglyAsian

UglyAsian Well Known Member Member

What kind of puffer? In a 10 gallon 40% might be too much. I have had experience with them, and they are extremely sensitive. They are scaleless so water conditions will affect them alot. Do you have water parameters?

6. OP
    OP
    Zoomo

Dwarf pea puffers. No ammonia, no nitrites, about 30 nitrates, which I know is high but is the same before and after water change. Prime went in the water. Not sure how to get rid of the nitrates. It is planted. Been dosing Flourish but last time was Friday before water change. This tank has a canister filter, have not messed with the sponges since setting it up 3 weeks ago, so should have nice amount of BB growing. I also seeded it from another tank.

7. OP
    OP
    Zoomo

So noticed the puffers floating again. I dug deep and pulled out the liquid test kit. My first test came in at 4 ppm Ammonia. Second test, because I thought there is no way, came in at 2 PPM. There are no nitrites or nitrates, and PH is 6.0. Just did water changes Sunday. I quick ran and tested all my other tanks. No ammonia in any of them but this one. This one is attached to a canister filter that I seeded. Why is there Ammonia in this tank? I have a Seachem Ammonia alert on the glass says no ammonia. I did the test strips, said no ammonia. I am freaking out. I cannot do a water change this minute because I am working, so I went and pulled out a AquaClear 20 I have, put Purigen in it, some sponge, and some ceramic media, but would have to dig seeding stuff out of the other tank's Tidal 75. Cannot do that right this minute. How is this tank like this? I put Prime again, put it yesterday, and Sunday with water change. I do not understand how a canister filter running 3 weeks with seeded media has this much ammonia. I just spent 145 dollars on stuff to remove ammonia, like Seachem Safe, Amquel, something called Algone, StressGuard, ugh, paid extra for one day delivery. I am so upset. Hope they make it through this. They don't like the flow of the AquaClear, have it on as low as it goes. The lid to the tank does not fit now, have it just resting on there.