Puffer tank

1. Diggly Well Known Member Member

I currently have a 20 gallon tank which has been established for 5 months. It started off with tiger barbs which promptly got moved to a bigger tank and has been housing 4 bettas since then (divided tank of course) it already has 2 anubias, 2 long bunches of reeds and 2 bunches of water sprite and some caves in the tank alongside the filter and heater so I am hoping this is enough.

I have also been feeding a small empty divider in the tank to cause an explosion of snails ready for the puffers (only 1 flake a day). I will be moving the bettas into a bettas barracks as soon as it is cycled but on the same day I get the puffers to ensure the tank stays cycled.

I already do 50% water changes in the tank weekly so keeping up that maintenance isnt a problem.

I would consider the sw puffers too but its more about getting puffers to be comfortable than buying a puffer and regretting it which is why I thought dps would be a good start.

Is there anything I have missed out? and how many puffers would you recommend for this size tank.

If all goes well I can look forward to a fugu tank in the future :).

2. jgon_ Well Known Member Member

For a 20, you could do 4-5 DPs, as long as there are plenty of hiding places and plants to break up line of sight. Also, you should familiarize yourself on how to sex DPs because you don't want to keep too many males together.

But....I'm also bias, I think a Figure 8 puffer would do amazing in a 20g if you bump up the salinity a little bit to a low brackish. :D

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

puffers are so cool... i'm jealous, diggly...

4. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Well bumping up salinity is an option as it will be a species only. I have been reading up on sexing dps but not sure entirely so I really would appreciate any tips!

Would it just be 1 figure of 8 alone in the 20g and would he be fine alone? I know they dont "like" other puffers so I am guessing it would be.

5. jgon_ Well Known Member Member

http://www.dwarfpuffers.com/
    Pretty much all you need to know - plus there's a section on sexing.

As far as the F8, yup, just one. Trust me, that's all you need since they are super fun and interactive fish.

6. shih-tzu mom Well Known Member Member

Jgon; How's it going and how is your baby? i haven't been on in awhile and was thinking about you all-best for Xmas to you and your's-bella

7. jgon_ Well Known Member Member

Hey bella! The Captain is doing great, here are some pics of him acting like a nut during feeding.

Attached Files:

8. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

He is too cute! Wow, just precious! Thank you for posting these pics.