Puffer food questions.

1. t

theguywhoknocks New Member Member

Alright, so I'm looking forward to set up a low-tech planted tank with low-lighting, no CO2 and no fertilizers for dwarf puffers. I've done some research already and I know what puffers eat. My question is about keeping shrimp or snails with dwarf puffers. Are there any snail or shrimp species that could sustain themselves with 2-4 puffers in a 20 gallon tank? I want my puffers' diet consist of mainly bloodworm, snails and shrimps, although I don't know if the puffers would massacre the snails/shrimp population or in the worse case, reproduce like crazy (a lot of snails are capable of doing so) leaving the tank overstocked. Has anyone here ever kept dwarf puffers with shrimp or snails? If so what species can I feed my puffers with, that are able to reproduce fast enough to sustain their population and not reproduce too fast to not make my tank overstocked?

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I don't think you need to worry about the puffers reproducing and overstocking your tank.

For the snails and shrimp, I'd keep them in a separate tank to breed them. I don't think they'll be able to keep a stable population in the same tank as the puffers. A simple 10 gal with a sponge filter would be fine for this (smaller will work too, but a 10 gal is a good size to get a large population).

3. OP
    OP
    t

Sorry, some of the English language seems different and weird to us, Poles, since that kind of sentence in Polish would apply to the species that I wanna keep my puffers with in Polish.
    Thank you for your response. I have a 5 gal fishbowl (don't ask why, I don't abuse fish). Would that be enough?

4. TexasDomer

That should be fine to breed the snails in!

5. OP
    OP
    t

What kind of snails do you recommend?

6. TexasDomer

Ramshorns and bladder snails are easy for them to feed on. MTS work too, but they go in the substrate often and aren't as easy to feed as the others.

7. Big Red

Big Red Well Known Member Member

Mts will be easier to maintian population but puffers may destroy tank getting to them. Mts are a much harder snail as well.