Puffer fish

Jesus

Reaction score
Hi

What do people think about keeping to puffer species in the same tank? I have this gut feeling that this would end badly but would like to know what others think.

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
From what I've read (never kept puffers myself, but I've been tempted) putting different species together would be a bad idea. even members of the same species will sometimes bite each other; different species is just asking for trouble.

whetto

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have a ten gallon tank with a green spotted puffer and 2 dwarf puffers, and they get along great. The only problem that i have noticed is that i never really see the dwarf puffers eat unless i throw some snails in the tank. Im gonna start on some frozen brine shrimp and blood worms and see how it goes, but as far as getting along, the two dwarfs hang around each other and the GSP just swims happily around them. I havent had any problems,, but good luck!

cicatriz

Valued Member
Reaction score
i keep 2 dwarf puffer fish w/ a tiger barb and a large snail.

they are probably gonna kill that snail one day but it is about 4 times their size right now...

as for interaction with the tiger barb there has been very little and is never violent (except when the barb wants a piece of food that the puffer is working on)

the puffer fish sometimes chase each other but for the most part they just sorta float around the tank together.

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
Whetto, I thought Green Spotted puffers were brackish (despite being sold as Freshwater in places like Wal Mart) and dwarf puffers are Freshwater... therefore they are not compatable for a different reason than whether or not they fight. The GSP's can be kept in Freshwater while young, but as they grow they must have salt in their water, which is not good for the DP's.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom