Puffer fish questions? Question

1. AnthonySharpe Member Member

So I have a 60 gallon (36x18x20) with freshwater puffer. I'm not entirely sure of the species it is, although I am pretty sure it is a freshwater fish. It is a dull brown with white spots and white belly, and has orange rings around it's back. He is about 4in. He peacefully lives with my plecostomus and my striped rapheal catfish, and I was wondering if he could live with anything else? Thanks for any info :3

2. matsungit Well Known Member Member

How are you sure that it is a freshwater fish without knowing the species? A lot of LFS make this huge mistake and keep wondering why they can't keep freshwater puffers for a long time. They keep rationalizing that they come from freshwater rivers and streams. What they do not know is that the parents of these puffers are saltwater fish. They go to freshwater to spawn and lay eggs. Freshwater is needed for the eggs to hatch. When the eggs hatch, the juveniles start their quest to go back into the sea. They can only survive freshwater for a few weeks. There are only a few puffers that are truly freshwater and the majority are saltwater.

3. AnthonySharpe Member Member

I'm not 100% sure, but I've had him for months and he seems to be thriving and perfectly health. I also trust the lfs very much, they seem very knowledgeable and trustworthy. They've helped me a LOT over the past few years.

4. shayla1 Well Known Member Member

Please find out what kind of puffer fish you have. If you have the same one I believe you are describing, it is a brackish water puffer and not fresh water.

You need to know what you have.. maybe you can post pictures so we can help you more.

5. matsungit Well Known Member Member

I also have a good relationship and trust with my LFS. They have been in business for 15 maybe 20 years. Yesterday I had to inform them about this same mistake. They had an Orange Saddleback Puffer or Orange Ring Fugu (Takifugu Ocellatus) in the freshwater section. They told me that the puffers came delivered in freshwater. Everyone makes mistakes.

6. AnthonySharpe Member Member

I'm sorry, I don't know how to post pictures on here I'm using a phone. And I think he said something about some species of Indian puffer. I'm sorry I don't really know what else to say, and I really hate that I can't give you enough information. I just wanted to know if a puffer can be with like guppies or tetras.

7. matsungit Well Known Member Member

Keeping smaller fish with puffers are usually not recommended since they are carnivores.

8. AnthonySharpe Member Member

well any reccomendations?

9. matsungit Well Known Member Member

We have to know what kind of puffer you have first since different puffer species have varying degrees of temperament.

10. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

If you find out it is a freshwater fish, which I would really encourage you to be 100% positive on, I've only ever had difficulty stocking fish with puffers. Also, even if it is freshwater, please be prepared to vary its diet with things like bloodworms and brine shrimp. A number also enjoy snails. I've had very little luck getting puffers to take flakes, but some have had success.

Sometimes folks can get away with smaller fish only if they are much faster than the predatory fish. It also helps for other fish to have a lot of hiding palces.

It's pretty difficult to provide any solid recommendations without knowing the quality of your water. What is the temperature and ph?

Again, this may all be a moot discusion if it is a brackish puffer that will not last in your tank. Please find out more for its health and safety.

11. AnthonySharpe Member Member

Thank you all for the information. . It's a bad picture but the only few I have now. And my ph is 6.6 I feed him snails, shrimp and sometimes krill.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. matsungit Well Known Member Member

I could not for the life of me find anything that matches your puffer's species. It's not even in the PufferPedia of The Puffer Forum profiles. You seem to have a unique puffer right there. Looks like you'll have to do some trial and error. Do let us know what you find out and good luck!

13. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

Can you get a better side shot? With the tail? Ive narrowed i down i think.

14. AnthonySharpe Member Member

[​IMG]Maybe these help? I know he's chubby, I feed him every other day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

Kinda. Mainly im looking at fins and body shape. And not neccesarily chubby, it could be his normal body shape.

16. AnthonySharpe Member Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]Sorry my phone has a camera.best I can do.

17. matsungit Well Known Member Member

18. shayla1 Well Known Member Member

I tend to agree with Mats. I had just looked through the site he offered earlier and was coming up with this link: http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Freshwater/T_abei/?g2_page=2

As with most puffers, he is likely to be VERY Agrressive to anything smaller than him.. and even some larger fish. If you offer him multiple victims (err.. friends) he will usually choose one to pick at until it is dead, then take on the next. I would not try to force this guy to have tank mates.

ps, thanks for the puffer pedia, Mats! I have it saved although I have only dwarfs right now, I just love my puffers.

19. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Sounds to me like the general consensus is... "Congratulations on your new predator tank!" :-D

20. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Glad fellow fishlorians were able to help identify the species and temperament of puffer fish you have. I've moved your thread to the puffer section of the forum. Thanks.