Puffer Eating Problems

WindyDayz

Reaction score
I have had my Spotted Congo Puffer for a few weeks now. If you haven't heard of that kind of puffer, its a lot like a smaller version of the Mbu Puffer. She's quite an active, personable fish and I've really enjoyed having her. So far, after she got adjusted to her new environment, I've only had one problem with her. I'm really struggling to get her to eat anything. Let me explain, for one, she won't eat live shrimp, but will eat freshly killed ones. She won't eat snails alive or dead. I've tried clams on a half shell and she tears the meat off the clams but doesn't eat it.

She also seems to struggle with chewing, when attempting to eat the dead shrimp and blood worms I offered, she gets them into her mouth but has to chew it up and spit it out multiple times before consuming it. After a while of doing this, she tends to give up if she can't get it small enough. So, she usually leaves half of the food uneaten. If she doesn't chew it well enough, she seems to choke on it. At first, I thought it was because her teeth might have been too long. After getting half way through the puffer teeth trimming procedure, I realized her teeth weren't long at all, and really small. (Don't worry, she recovered almost instantly afterwards.)

Is it possible her teeth could be too short? If so, any suggestions on what I should do for feeding her?

Thank you in advance!

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
She could be getting plenty to eat and you're just not noticing. Are there snails currently in the tank with her? Is she pooping at all?
Puffers are one of the very few species of fish that will stop eating when they're full, but will continue to "kill" and such.

WindyDayz

Reaction score
She could be getting plenty to eat and you're just not noticing. Are there snails currently in the tank with her? Is she pooping at all?
Puffers are one of the very few species of fish that will stop eating when they're full, but will continue to "kill" and such.
The reason why I think there's a problem is because she's quite skinny. There are a few snails in the tank with her but the main colony is in a separate tank. She does poop occasionally, usually I see it every 2-4 days. Its somewhat hard for me to tell because she eats it.. It used to be white and stringy but after a few dosing of API General Cure its a normal color.

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would agree with frozen. You have to feed live brine shrimp right before you feed them to something else as they have very little nutritional value. Frozen ones are gut loaded before they are frozen.

CHJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is going to sound horrible but to get my peas started on snails I had to very carefully deshell a few snails. This left things looking like boogers roaming the tank. Once they got tasted by a pea, the snail massacre began. Only one needs to eat a booger/snail the others will learn from that one.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom