Help Puffer Danio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Yoda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So, I noticed one of my longfin danio's is looking odd lately and not swimming as fast/care free as the other danios. It's scales looks like a bird does when it fluffs it's feather. Thus the puffer look. I thought I saw a couple of white dots back by the tail fin, but I am not sure. Is this ich? All of my other fish seem to be doing just fine. I really have no idea what's going on. I will see if I can get a pic of this guy but no guarantees.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
the swelling and "pineconing" of the scales indicate dropsy, a symptom of an internal bacterial infection or other problems. The spots are likely ich, it sounds like your fish has a weakened immune system and is being attacked by a number of pathogens. What are your current ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels? How often do you change the water? Also your aquarium info says you have 0 ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. This is almost impossible in most typical freshwater setups, you should have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, but nitrate should constantly rise and water changes should be used to keep the nitrate levels below 20.

OP
M

Master Yoda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I was actually just getting ready to do a water change when I noticed it. I haven't tested the water in a little while I do not remember why I did not put anything down for the nitrates... And yeah, pinecone effect... I did also notice on both sides right behind the gills there are red spots that look like they might be bare and devoid of scales. Can this stuff spread to my other fish?

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
yes, ich is very contagious and whatever is on its gills also sounds contagious, dropsy isnt really considered very contagious but it is definitely a good idea to quarantine the sick fish, when was the last time you changed the water? Do you change it weekly? Do you think you could test the water and let us know what the levels are at right now?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Most people believe that if one fish is showing visible ich (looks like salt sprinkled in the fish), then the entire tank is infected and should be treated with elevated temperatures and thorough gravel vacs.

We don't know for sure what is causing the pineconing. It may not be contagious, but there is a chance that it is. For this reason, I recommend going ahead and putting this fish in a hospital tank.

OP
M

Master Yoda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ammonia, Nitrite 0, Nitrate somewhere between 0-5ppm, API Freshwater Master Kit, just tested after water change.
I have a an empty 10 gallon tank but I never set it up yet..

OP
M

Master Yoda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So, 2 days after the water change, all is well again... The formerly sick danio is now happy to see me walk up to the tank and is playing around with his or her fellow danios...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 63 65.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.8%

Top Bottom