puffer bites?!

Discussion in 'Puffers' started by MJDuti, Jul 13, 2015.

1. MJDuti

MJDutiWell Known MemberMember

While I was netting out some dragon puffer poop yesterday my little guy tried nipping my finger. Only once, and then I think he realized he made a mistake. However, it was meal time, and he didn't eat yesterday, and he has only been going on every other day for a few weeks now. I got a little nervous, and luckily he didn't get me. Just wondering what kind of damage he could possibly do. He has never done this before, is not scared of me, and I can get close enough to pet him if I chose to do so (which I don't). I think he thinks anything I put into the tank is food now.

Also curious if any of you have had your puffers bite you, and what the result was. I think a Fahaka would scare the bejeezus out of me if he came after my hands.

2. PuffPuff

PuffPuffWell Known MemberMember

well currently i have a figure 8 puffer that i recently purchased yesterday. he is a nibbler but so far i can pet him with no problem and am working on hand feeding him. i hope he doesnt bite me. it didnt cross my mind that a puffer would bite me while im feeding it, i just assumed it knew the difference. ill have to experiment with mine.
    perhaps Gena can answer. she a puffer expert

3. OP
    OP
    MJDuti

while figure 8's are small puffers and most likely harmless to you, I wouldn't entice larger species. Remember, their beaks are made to crush ridiculously hard shells. Just imagine what that would mean for your finger. Remember each puffer, regardless of species, is an individual...some just hate the world.

4. Gena

GenaWell Known MemberMember

Mine have never bitten me. I use feeding tongs I got at PetSmart for cheap. ^,^ I found them in the reptile isle. I've heard of wild puffers biting divers who got too friendly(i.e. put their finger in front of the puff's mouth.) Sometimes the diver has to go to the hospital. But puffers are crushers, so I'd think if a puffer got a human good, it wouldn't just be skin that would be damaged. I think it'd also hurt the bone. There's a story on the internet I read about of a fisherman who lost a finger. On another forum there's a thread about a pufferfish who bit its owner and took off the tip of a finger.

PuffPuff I'm no puffer expert, but thanks for the compliment! I've never intentionally touched Sammy. From what I've learned, regularly touching fish isn't good for them because of how delicate their slime coats are. Maybe someone else can give their opinion on the subject. Sammy has run into my hands a few times while I've deep cleaned the substrate and the contact seems to upset her.

5. PuffPuff

PuffPuffWell Known MemberMember

Gena, well to all of us on this forum you seem to have the most experience. so way to go!! :;hf

6. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

MJDuti and MollyPalooza have the most experience with puffers on this forum from what I've seen. Gena is good with them too....

7. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOoWell Known MemberMember

I've never had my pea puffers try to bite me. They follow the gravel vac, but that's about it. I don't encourage them to think my hands are food. I feed them with tongs.

My guppy, Zippo, on the other hand does occasionally peck at my arm when I do wc. It doesn't feel like anything though.

8. OP
    OP
    MJDuti

Oh, he normally gets fed with tongs. I'd really be asking for it wiggling an earthworm in front of him with my fingers. I didn't mind when things would come up to me while I was doing maintenance in any tank. I really liked how my amano shrimps would come and clean my arm sometimes. Puffers are just a species that can actually inflict harm.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice